Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cat 247B

I have a 247B on rental purchase for a month to see if I like it, if I like it 75% of the rent will go towards the purchase price of $18,900. I really like the machine and it has proven to be very handy. I have some concerns mostly undercarriage, I feel like an CTL undercarriage would work better for us, but I need to be able to use this machine in the winter also and I understand that the ASV MTL bottom is better for that. Ive been using the machine for a bunch of work and I haven't experienced any bad yet, but from what I hear is that once things start to go bad, its very expensive. The attractive thing about this machine is that it only has 1100 hrs and I can pay for it outright. What are your thoughts here, should I let it go back and look for another machine, or roll with it as I know it will work for us, with the understanding that we will have to keep an eye on the bottom?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Paging Ron, paging Ron.....

I think you'll find quite a few complaints toward the MTL undercarriage. The rest of the 247 is basically a 216/226 platform, my dad bought a new 216 back in '03 and has had pretty good luck with the machine. I do believe the 247 had less issues with the undercarriage based on its lighter operating weight. I think there are better machines out there but there's definitely worse Cat MTL's to purchase.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks scag. I figured ronnie would have chimed in by now, but I forget you guys are 3 hrs behind us out there so he's probably at work still. It seems like a nice little machine, real fast and accurate, great finish machine. It teams up perfectly with our 121 kubota, but we just finished up a septic system where it worked with the 110 deere excavator and it worked well with that too. The size is nice as it sneaks into the tight spots, but will still dump into our tandem.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedly05 View Post
Thanks scag. I figured ronnie would have chimed in by now, but I forget you guys are 3 hrs behind us out there so he's probably at work still.
Ron....work? You must be joking!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It was a great machine for my small applications, the undercarriage certainly lasted longer than on the company 277C with the same abuse, although there were times I wished I had the 257's loader lift height for trucks.
Funny though, once I got a TL130, I missed the floatation the 247 had.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
It was a great machine for my small applications, the undercarriage certainly lasted longer than on the company 277C with the same abuse, although there were times I wished I had the 257's loader lift height for trucks.
Funny though, once I got a TL130, I missed the floatation the 247 had.
I've definitely been impressed so far with the traction etc, it definitely goes well in steep conditions also.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing that always bugged me was the oil consumption issue all those 2.2L Perkapillar engines have. Mine would burn off a quarter inch of oil off the dip stick every 12 hrs and others around here with the small frame Cat skids have the same issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've noticed the same thing with my dad's 216, always puffs blue smoke when you hammer the throttle and consequently, it burns a little oil. Always has, but it runs good. His machine is nearing the 1,000 hour mark and he hasn't had any real issues with it. I will say one thing about them and that is the engine oil fill cap has a tendency to come unthreaded and fall out. My dad's machine did that to him, had no idea until the idiot light for oil pressure came on. Opened the door, oil everywhere, real big mess. Emergency oil change was done but I think it probably did a little damage along the way, hard to say how much. When he went to go buy another cap, the guys at Cat said that's not the first they've heard of that happening. Not sure if someone just didn't put a real good squeeze on that cap or if it's an actual issue but I'd advise putting a twist on it daily to ensure it's seated.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good info guys, I'll make sure to check the oil and cap daily.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would look at a different machine. I ran a 257 18 months put 1000 hrs on it, had 600 when I got it. The undercarriage was loaded with aftermarket parts, and still was not reliable. It was costing me an average of 375 per month just on parts for undercarriage. It was used for dirt work and landscaping , it ate tracks and everything else in the undercarriage. I bought the 257 for the same reason you are, wanted option to run it in the winter. I think ctls do just fine in the snow, we had one of snowiest winters and my ctls did just fine. I have seen a lot of ctls pushing snow while on trips. U will be fine with a ctl, while the base cat machine was ok, the hvac sucked and undercarriage damn near broke me. I went with a 319d and 329d deeres love them zero problems in 1000+ hours. I think you could find a better machine than the 247 in the same money.