Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat 440b

I have found a 1993 bobcat 440b very clean with a hour meter reading 163. The person took it on trade from a farmer that bought it new and had it sitting around farm for small jobs. They are asking 4500.... what do y'all think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Anybody have any experience with them? Easy to keep up? Easy to repair? Preform OK even though a small machine?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice machine. The one I have has the wide tires and 44" bucket. Could not imagine how tippy it would be with the small tires. I would not believe the hours tho... they had a tendency to stop working and than start again.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS0219 View Post
Nice machine. The one I have has the wide tires and 44" bucket. Could not imagine how tippy it would be with the small tires. I would not believe the hours tho... they had a tendency to stop working and than start again.
I agree and I am taking the hours with a grain of salt. It is very clean and like how it was one owner and on a farm its whole life... it has the wider bucket/ tires. I am building a house for my self and family and going to do my own lawn and driveway. Figured it may be good instead of renting plus I will have it for my work and land after that... how do you feel about the asking price. I will try to deal but I know these things were like 7k new in early 1990s.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasScape View Post
I agree and I am taking the hours with a grain of salt. It is very clean and like how it was one owner and on a farm its whole life... it has the wider bucket/ tires. I am building a house for my self and family and going to do my own lawn and driveway. Figured it may be good instead of renting plus I will have it for my work and land after that... how do you feel about the asking price. I will try to deal but I know these things were like 7k new in early 1990s.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's an expensive shovel. Small machine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
That's an expensive shovel. Small machine
Posted via Mobile Device
So you think they are asking too much? I have purchased larger machines for a company I used to manage but no experience purchases these small machine (No experience Price wise, I do know in general what to look at when looking if it is a good/maintained machine). Anyone else have an idea if this asking price (4500) is too much or about what its worth. I will try to wheel and deal but want to know what y'all think it should go for so I know when to walk away if they will not bend too much. Thanks for everyone's thoughts so far.
B.S. Horticulture (Virginia Tech)

Setup:
1995 F-450 Dump 7.3 Diesel
Horton Hauler 12' X 6' Enclosed Trailer
2006 Exmark Lazer Z 52"
2008 Exmark 48" WB
2013 Stihl String trimmer
2013 Stihl BR600 Blower
2013 Stihl Hedge trimmer
Hand tools, sprayers, and etc.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly I'm selling mine for $5k or BO. $4500 is a fair price depending on condition. I'm more afraid to buy a machine that was on a farm vs. buying a construction machine. My reason is usually the farm machine was in manure its whole life.... That eats steel and fittings pretty quick.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 553, a slightly bigger machine and not sure that I would use it to cut a driveway or do anything other than move loose materials and maybe light dirt work, the weight of the machine just isn't there. I'd keep an eye out for an old 753 that has been cared for.

Chevy Trucks
Kubota tractors
PJ Trailers

Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn d View Post
I have a 553, a slightly bigger machine and not sure that I would use it to cut a driveway or do anything other than move loose materials and maybe light dirt work, the weight of the machine just isn't there. I'd keep an eye out for an old 753 that has been cared for.
Or even a newer new holland that you can run attachments off. I personally wouldnt buy a skid that small. There just an expensive shovel

I would however look into a scut. The deere 1 series looks promising and not very expensive. This way you can also run attachments
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

my home purpose would be movement/spreading of gravel to form a driveway... Also fine grading of topsoil to create a lawn.... So more of materials movement. I was considering the machine due to good condition and low cost. I do not have an incredible amount of work to justify a 10k+ machine right now even though I could use it some and possibly go after more work for it. I was just considering it due to I would have to do all this week on evening and weekends to my soon to be new home. Rental would kill me so buy a machine instead of throwing money away on rental... Still thinking about it3. Hoping I can possibly beat the dealer up little on price to make it even more worth it.
B.S. Horticulture (Virginia Tech)

Setup:
1995 F-450 Dump 7.3 Diesel
Horton Hauler 12' X 6' Enclosed Trailer
2006 Exmark Lazer Z 52"
2008 Exmark 48" WB
2013 Stihl String trimmer
2013 Stihl BR600 Blower
2013 Stihl Hedge trimmer
Hand tools, sprayers, and etc.