Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Spray gun opinions

We are currently using the lesco spray gun but going into next year we are going to convert all sprayers to a TeeJet AA30L-22425 GunJet spray gun. This will have the 18" extension connected.... My question is which spray tip would you recommend or have experience using?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you going yo be applying with it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2013, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is a great gun when configured so that the shut off is at the tip. I use a 23L 7676-18 myself. That is really good for preventing drip of bare ground or noinselectives on unintended areas. Think what would happen if Round Up dripped on a lawn from a normal spray trigger and wand. A 11004 tip will lay down 1 gallon per 1000 at 40 PSI and a moderate walking pace.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Equipment choice is really a very personal thing. My treasure might be your trash.

I am not a fan of the Tee Jet 30 gun because of where the hose attaches. That gun doesn't feel right in my hand. If I swing my hand I have to also swing the hose.

Instead I buy Pressure wash guns that the hose attaches in the Handle. I leave on the fast snap for the Nozzle and I will even use the smallest Pressure wash tips. A 15 Degree fan can be very useful when spot spraying. Or pop in a wider angle fan for blanket spraying. Adding a quick snap longer wand is an other advantage. Adapters for standard Tee Jet nozzles like the 8003 can quick snap into the gun or extensions also.

Let me add that I do some aquatic certified and spray aquatic weeds from a boat. Weeds grow in the shallow water where a boat can't always get near. My 12V 2 GPM pump and a # 3.5 15 degree wash pressure nozzle does a nice job of reaching out and touching someone. Plus at 40 PSI, it doesn't mist or drift because the droplet size is large enough. I will even quick snap in a Zero Degree nozzle to really reach out. a 80 Degree Tee Jet nozzle can't get close.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Equipment choice is really a very personal thing. My treasure might be your trash.

I am not a fan of the Tee Jet 30 gun because of where the hose attaches. That gun doesn't feel right in my hand. If I swing my hand I have to also swing the hose.

Instead I buy Pressure wash guns that the hose attaches in the Handle. I leave on the fast snap for the Nozzle and I will even use the smallest Pressure wash tips. A 15 Degree fan can be very useful when spot spraying. Or pop in a wider angle fan for blanket spraying. Adding a quick snap longer wand is an other advantage. Adapters for standard Tee Jet nozzles like the 8003 can quick snap into the gun or extensions also.

Let me add that I do some aquatic certified and spray aquatic weeds from a boat. Weeds grow in the shallow water where a boat can't always get near. My 12V 2 GPM pump and a # 3.5 15 degree wash pressure nozzle does a nice job of reaching out and touching someone. Plus at 40 PSI, it doesn't mist or drift because the droplet size is large enough. I will even quick snap in a Zero Degree nozzle to really reach out. a 80 Degree Tee Jet nozzle can't get close.

I like the setup Ric. How well does that gun stand up to herbicides? I've considered using one of those for R-up jobs but was unsure just how long they would last.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I like the setup Ric. How well does that gun stand up to herbicides? I've considered using one of those for R-up jobs but was unsure just how long they would last.
Ted

The $ 19.95 model from Northern Tool last a couple years. They general start dripping at about two years. But they are so cheap I just throw them away when they go bad. Roundup is no big deal for these guns.

I use these guns for both total kill and selective herbicides. Fact is my Aquatic Gun stays wet with Herbicide 24/7/365 because all I do is turn off the Pump and drain the pressure. I only use the aquatic set up once a month.

Pressure wash nozzles start at size 3 and come in half sizes. I keep sizes 3 to 4.5. These are rated for like 3000 PSI so at 40 PSI they spray a much lower volume. I change nozzle sizes to match which ever 12V pump I am using. (They all are different) I want the pump to come on when I trigger the gun and shut off quickly when I un-trigger the gun. I don't want my pump to keep turning on and off when I am spraying. Nor do I want the pump to fall behind my spraying. From my experience the smaller Tee Jet nozzles either 8000 or 11000 series will cause the pump to turn on & off continually.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

For those that asked i will be spraying pre emergent, dye & post. This will be the first year that i have converted to these teejet guns with the extension due to us adding the dye to our applications.

Im switching guns so that when i apply the dye that it will look more uniform and not splotchy.... what tip do you guys prefer to cover the best area?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That is a great gun when configured so that the shut off is at the tip. I use a 23L 7676-18 myself. That is really good for preventing drip of bare ground or noinselectives on unintended areas. Think what would happen if Round Up dripped on a lawn from a normal spray trigger and wand.
I agree but the only problem is that the only wands that I know of that have the shutoff at the tip are straight. For spot spraying you need a curved wand and I have had success using the strainers that have a check valve built in- really a spring loaded ball that will shut off when the pressure drops to about 5 psi to minimize dripping.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
I agree but the only problem is that the only wands that I know of that have the shutoff at the tip are straight. For spot spraying you need a curved wand and I have had success using the strainers that have a check valve built in- really a spring loaded ball that will shut off when the pressure drops to about 5 psi to minimize dripping.
Great point that I missed in my post, and the point of Tee Jet 30 is the shut off feature. Yes I use those check valve strainers every where I can. I install them right where the Quick snap couplers screws into the Gun. That way every tip I snap in has a check valve.

However on my aquatic sprayer I don't use a Strainer Check Valve. They cut down on the Volume or GPM. You need a lot of carrier when applying aquatic Herbicide.

BTW I like a curved wand for spraying most things from Spot, Blanket and even shrubs. Large shrubs need to be sprayed on the inside as well. A curved wand lets you spray in all directions just by rotating it once it is inside the canopy.

Structure PC is different and the standard can sprayer is the $ 300 one gallon SS B&G with a shut off at the end of the wand not unlike the Tee Jet 30. While it is a great piece of equipment, the one gallon size and cost is not what I would want to use for L&O work.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dye will learn new guys not to be sloppy. If they look like a smurf after applying, better review their application techniques.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738

Tags
gun , lesco , preemergent , teejet , tip