Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Why Does This Keep Happening?

It's not like golf course superintendents aren't doing anything to convince golfers to fix ball marks. But the ball mark problem, which has existed since the game was invented, is still a problem ó and a big problem at some courses?

What ELSE to do?
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only way to help this is to allow players to tee up every shot. Still wont eliminate all marks, too many that play like me. lol
Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Sponsor

Most courses where this is a chronic problem allow the players to lend a hand by providing a plastic bottle with a top dressing mixture to quickly patch the damaged turf. More or less a band aide however in the growing season quickly heals over for the next round of play.
easy-lift guy
Old 11-04-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It happens do a simple mindset of

"It's not my job"

90% of players have the mindset of, we'll I pay to play here. You work here so you fix it.

When I played on the Golf team in Highschool, after practice on Saturdas our coach would have us walk the 18holes and fix all the divots.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
It happens do a simple mindset of

"It's not my job"

90% of players have the mindset of, we'll I pay to play here. You work here so you fix it.

When I played on the Golf team in Highschool, after practice on Saturdas our coach would have us walk the 18holes and fix all the divots.
Posted via Mobile Device
Couldn't agree more. It's an overall attitude these days. If it doesn't benefit "me" why should I care? Lazy, inconsiderate, selfish populous. These days people pull out a cell phone to tape a car accident instead of helping the injured, you don't expect them to repair divots and ball marks do you? Ball mark takes two seconds to fix, I'll fix mine and any other one near by while I'm there. Etiquette is part of the game too. Ok, done venting...carry on.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Could (should) there be better signage at the course to encourage repairing ball marks? Better communication in the clubhouse?
Old 11-06-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the carts contain little plastic 'jars' that are full of a topdress mix. A small decal placed in the cart that says something like "Please repair all ball marks on greens and fairways to preserve to the course" Par 3's should have a little wooden box on the tee box full of topdress with a little sign.

Hand out complimentary plastic repair tools with the courses logo. Everyone I have played with always fixed ball marks on the green. It is considered bad etiquette to not do so. About 30% of the guys don't repair divots in the fairways and tees though.

Change the pin locations daily. You can try adding one of those giant industrial fans to the softer greens.

There always seems to be a disconnect with the people working the cart barn and the maint crew. The people that work the cart barn never seem to want to get there hands dirty. I think when it is slow they should send someone out to repair ball marks on the greens.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAylward View Post
Could (should) there be better signage at the course to encourage repairing ball marks? Better communication in the clubhouse?
Yes that would most likely help. Additionally assure the bottles on the carts are full and if there is a bottle station at the bathroom (on the course) make sure those are full. One course I play has a decent bottle rack at the bathroom full of empty bottles. Rarely are they filled. That said.....How the heck does a golf course make enough money to maintain the property? It has got to cost a fortune.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I play every weekend in the Myrtle Beach SC area. if you know the area you know it has a gazillion golf courses. I have yet to hear a starter mention repairing your divots and half the time the bottles on the carts are empty. I do everything I can to repair club/ball marks but maybe if the starter mentioned it, they may actually get fixed. People get fixated by the game and forget.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I played in High School we had access to some real nice courses, we never left a hole without being darn sure that all diviots and ball marks were repaired and all Sand traps were raked, that was no matter who made them. I used to play for free in the late afternoon if I collected the flag sticks and fixed all the ball marks on the greens in my youth.