Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

looking for advice on a backpack blower

Hi all,

I'm just a homeowner with a decent sized yard, not tiny but not huge. It's about 12,000 sq/ft, but I have a lot of trees and a lot of leaves. I also cut two of my neighbors yards, one of which gets a ton of leaves. Also, my father recently lost his leg, and I will be taking care of his leaves this year. My parents live on about a half ace, but have 7 or so LARGE oak trees, with tons of leaves and acorns.

I have an Echo handheld blower, and frankly I hate it. I've had it for 7 years, and it seems to need a major tune up each season and even after getting tuned up it never runs right. It takes forever to warm up, and sometimes it never does. I have to constantly fiddle with the choke to keep it from dying. Also, my dad has a newer Stihl handheld and it sucks just as bad if not worse. It's hard to start, and almost never runs at full speed. I finally got it to work right yesterday for like 10 minutes, and then it died and I couldn't get it to start again.

So, I'm looking at getting a backpack blower to minimize my raking time this fall. I was originally looking at the Husky 150BT or 350BT, that fits my budget fairly well. I've been searching a lot on here about backpack blowers, and almost everyone says buy the biggest you can afford. I'd love to pick up an SB600 Magnum, but it's just not in the cards for me. The Echo PB-500 is $299 (same price at the Husky, unless I can find the Husky on sale), but the reviews I've read on the PB-500 aren't the greatest. I read a lot of good things about the Husky 150BT. Would that be a good blower for my needs?

I mean, if I go any higher, to like the Echo PB-755 or the Stihl 550, I might as well spend the extra $$ and get the 600 Magnum.. I just hate the idea of that much, even though I'm sure I'd love it.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Can't go wrong with REdmax 8500
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure why youd want the Stihl. Better, more powerful blowers for about the same money. For that much work I'd look at the Husky 570 or 580. The 570 can be bought for $456 and the 580 for $499 from Pantano Equipment, a sponsor here who sells them new with free shipping and no tax on ebay. Usually come in 2 days. The 580 is more powerful but being a homeowner the 570 for $50 less will serve you well.

There's lots of posts about backpack blowers, including a thread 9 down from this one where a homeowner just purchased a 570.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 11-04-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had the husky 150 bt for about 2 months and so far I like it. I has plenty of power and starts with 2 pulls or less. 300$ at lowes so a lot cheaper than a stihl 600. I love stihl trimmers but I didn't want to drop that kinda cash on the 600 blower so I got the husky. Pleased thus far
Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Husky makes great handhelds. For $150-$200 more you can have a blower(570/580) with a huge amount of more power than the 150 that will most likely last forever with the limited use.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2013, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The heck with the small stuff, get an 8500 (580) or 7500 (570) and be done with it. Those two blowers will absolutely blow away anything else on the market. There is no comparison. Those are BY FAR the most powerful units on the market. They would blow a Stihl 600 magnum down the street like a tin can. Just buy the biggest now and never worry about it again.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Recently picked up a Husky 570 after doing the research and going through the forums as you are. While it may be overkill when you're just mowing, now that the leaves are falling, I'm so glad I did not go smaller. I did also look at the Stihl Magnum you mentioned.......fine machine but, comparing specs (not always easy, though) and reading the forums (mostly this one :-) convinced me to go with the Husky. No regrets, glad I spent the extra cash now.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Echo 770 is still 2-cycle,,, so higher RPM, more air, lighter weight, longer lasting and adequate for 3 acres of pine needles and branches...
Old 11-06-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

The BT150 is going to be worlds above the little handle held th OP is used to. Mine has a solid year of commercial use on it and with maintenance by the book, hasn't had a single issue yet. It goes on sale for 249 at Lowe's and you can use a 10% off coupon on top of that haha. If its not enough power, take it back and get a 580 or similar unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Idk why people don't like Echo. My 500 is a year old and works great. I have 1.5 acres and it cleans up great. I also us it for trail work 20 or so times a year with no issues.

Don't listen to everybody and upgrade to the most expensive one. I was thinking of doing that too, but it's really unnecessary. You'll be satisfied with the BT 500, trust me.
Posted via Mobile Device