Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pump suggestion

I'll keep this quick, asked to install a pump on a system my company installed a bit over a year ago. Currently cross connected to potable water with appropriate backflow in place. When I installed the system I foresaw the eventual request for a pump and ran the two wires necessary for a pump start relay so this is just a pump question.
Design parameters: Maximum lift is eleven feet, max. gpm is 8.75, max pressure is 40 psi. Mainline and all laterals are 1" Class 200, valves are Hunter 1" with flow control, farthest run in 189'.
Client is requesting a centrifugal pump verse a submersible due to budget limitations.
Accordingly, to maintain 40 psi at farthest exit, pump would have to produce a realistic 45psi.
Question- actually two: 1. Who makes the least expensive centrifugal pump, voltage not an issue, that is reliable enough for this motard? or 2. Should I just tell this dude to quit being a jew and pony up the $$ for a submersible?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is there a well? Or is this for boosting city water?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

"least expensive" is not the key reason to select one booster pump over another - given that a booster will run all the time the system is on, it needs to be spec'd more carefully than a rotor head

less than 9 gpm is a very small flow for most pumps - start by looking at a baby centrifugal - even a 1/3 HP model may be more than you need.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What is the pump for? Im assuming to suck from a pond? For what you need a goulds j5 would be plenty.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's a weak submersible that needs more performance, which really points at a replacement more than anything else. Good booster centrifugals aren't a bargain.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

The owner being Jewish probably has little to do with what you're asking.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly, call a pump supplier and give the the specs. They do it for a living, and don't charge to spec a pump.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry about the confusion in my post - was thinking about this morning. Ended up having my faithful companion of fifteen and a half years euthanized. Kind of thrown me for a loop.

The pump is for a small pond adjoining the property. With the drought here in C. Texas the POA shut off the POA irrigation system as well as halted ALL outdoor watering off of the potable water meter.

Regarding calling the local pump supplier, I have. The problem being the behind the counter pump tech I am used to dealing with is no longer there. And the remaining counter staff act like they just escaped from Jiffy Lube.

I'll check out the Goulds J5 - thanks.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
Sorry about the confusion in my post - was thinking about this morning. Ended up having my faithful companion of fifteen and a half years euthanized. Kind of thrown me for a loop.
Sorry to hear about your pal, my hats in hand my friend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Munro along with Flint & Walling have become our go to brands of pumps.

They are both more expensive than the usual supplier lines at Ewing, JDL etc. We sell all of our pumps with no warranty due to the amount of variables involved especially booster pumps. You would be surprised at how many people at some point in time that turn the water or backflow off without killing power to the pump or placing the controller off.

It does not matter how much instruction materials or information we supply to the customers.....it happens and I can't see that changing in the near future.

If we find that the pump was actually defective, we will do what it takes to make the situation right as long as the supplier comes up with the same findings.