Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 4,980
going to verticut empire zoysia next week

going to be verticutting, aerating, and TD an empire zoysia lawn that is in pretty bad shape. i know its Russian roulette this time of year but it looks real bad right now. im going to put down perennial rye as an insurance policy in case it gets cold. ill post pics next week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
going to be verticutting, aerating, and TD an empire zoysia lawn that is in pretty bad shape. i know its Russian roulette this time of year but it looks real bad right now. im going to put down perennial rye as an insurance policy in case it gets cold. ill post pics next week.
Posted via Mobile Device
The timing seams all wrong...but I guess if all parties involved know the risk...experiment away and keep us posted on the results.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 AM
ArTurf ArTurf is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ark
Posts: 1,967
Wouldn't it be better to do this when the grass is going to be actively growing so it can recover? I would think the rye would only compete and inhibit the recovery of the zoysia.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Wouldn't it be better to do this when the grass is going to be actively growing so it can recover? I would think the rye would only compete and inhibit the recovery of the zoysia.
yes of course but its in terrible shape...they either look at the mess all winter or let it recover and have solid turf in spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2013, 01:57 PM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,291
If I were to do what your doing I would spray that rye out next spring with a selective herbicide. Two competing grasses, one coming out of semi dormancy and one dying from heat looks like crapola. Spraying the rye will give the zoysia a better start going into summer if it's not competing with that rye. Just my opinion
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
If I were to do what your doing I would spray that rye out next spring with a selective herbicide. Two competing grasses, one coming out of semi dormancy and one dying from heat looks like crapola. Spraying the rye will give the zoysia a better start going into summer if it's not competing with that rye. Just my opinion
thanks Brian.
Plantculture already talked me out of the rye so it will just be let the zoysia fill back in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
The timing seams all wrong...but I guess if all parties involved know the risk...experiment away and keep us posted on the results.
yup it was explained. its in such bad shape now that there won't be much difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2013, 05:59 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 9,494
I alaways firured it the rye was kept cut real low, it wouldn't affect the summer grass, and when it died off the roots would break down and improve as well as areate the soil.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 PM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I alaways firured it the rye was kept cut real low, it wouldn't affect the summer grass, and when it died off the roots would break down and improve as well as areate the soil.
Not really and not in my personal experience. If your overseeing it's usually because the permanent grass is dormant. When it's coming out of dormancy it doesn't want to compete for sun, water, fertilizer and the transition isn't smooth. Like I said over seeding is done a lot on dormant turf, I just recommend selectively killing the temporary grass with chemicals for a smoother transition. Then yes I suppose it would break down and help the soil. Of course this is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Verticutting Verticutting is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pinellas Park, Florida
Posts: 5
Verticutting

If your in Florida, please see verticutting.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.08810 seconds with 7 queries