Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-19-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Thoughts on skidsteer backhoe attachment?

Hey everybody, just looking for some opinions on a skidsteer backhoe attachment. Before I start, I know it isn't gonna hold a match to a mini ex, but a mini ex isn't in the cards right now. The story is it's a 2002 bobcat 709 backhoe attachment that has never been used. It's on tender as surplus equipment from a municipality that I work for, its in brand new condition (I've been keeping an eye on it for the past 5 years). I researched the specs and it seems to be a capable piece, and can be carried by my skidsteer (just barely). I do realize the PITA of having to switch seats to move the machine, but right now my options are renting equipment or using shovels . . .

3 years in business, 28 residential & 4 commercial contracts
Old 11-19-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, We only do the occasional excavation job, a large percentage of use I would put on this unit would be around my own property, and around my parents property. If the excavating jobs take off and prove to be fruitful, I'd be more than willing to upgrade to a mini ex.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure your machine will move it, and you have a way to hook it to the loader arms or it's almost useless and you'll break pins.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I used to run a Bobcat (I think 811) backhoe attachment. It was a late 90's or 2000 model. I thought it was both powerful and productive. I did over 3000' of trenching with it. Sure, a mini ex or trencher would have been faster but it's what I had and it worked great. The only drawback was hauling it around. It was heavy and bulky but I liked using it and the hydraulics were smooth.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-19-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a Deere extend a hoe backhoe 910 i think was the number? It was build really well and the extend the hoe was nice.It had a adaptor plate that bolted on the front of the CTL and there was a ball on it that is like the three point link on a tractor uses that you connected when you used it.

Needed it when carring it and digging with it.You had to put the hydraulic on by pass ,when you got in and out to move it.That was the only bad part,usually just got someone to stay in the machine to move me back and fore.It had good power.Wasn't a problem in hard dirt.Also had outriggers.Foot pedal for the extend and two levers to run the backhoe.

Used it a couple years until i got the mini,mini was great update and i traded the backhoe in on the mini and got what i paid for the hoe new ,so i thought that was great.That doesn't happen to often.Good luck
Old 11-19-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the insight guys!

Old 11-20-2013, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 709' attachment for my Bobcat 773. It seems you already know this but if you don't expect it to replace a Mini-Ex you should be pretty happy with it.

I have used it for digging holes for rootballs on landscape installs, trenching for water lines/electrical and even for removing tree stumps.

It is not a Mini-Ex but its hard to beat for the price, on larger jobs I'll spring for and rent a Mini but it has paid for itself many times over by now.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm glad to hear! We're mostly just property maintenance at this point with a few small landscape jobs and installs, we're still growing into the "excavations", and being that this piece is on tender, it may go for a fairly economical price. So it might be a good option for us through the growing phase I hope!

Old 11-20-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What do you mean when you say excavations? Pools? Basements? You will hate it. After hooking mine up a few times it sat for a few years and i took a loss on it. By tje time you load it up and move it its costing you a ton of time and the guys would have already dug it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

No we wont be doing anything that big, there are too many people in our area already doing that work. We're more looking at landscaping, tree installs, small ponds, ditches, etc.