Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Disappointed with shinduawa hedge trimmer

We have 2 different models of these hedge trimmers and both have had the gear box crack. Everybody that have used them really likes the units. Now I am out of warranty so $50 to much to risk.

Name:  20131115_121537.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  20131115_121547.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  70.0 KB

I will figure out a way to use the power head for trimmer. Any body else have problems with them.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a couple redmax units do same thing. I made a support bracket that came off the gearcase cover screw and went up to the forward -most bar support bolt. Used a longer bolt and red locktite. The idea was/is to kinda support the bar from lateral movement. I reckon it worked, never had any problems with the beefed up unit that I know of.

......AMF!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I have noticed that about redmax and shindaiwa. The cases look real flimsy. I have echos and they take some real abuse. 8 years of hellish abuse on my echo hca260 and case has never cracked. Take a look at an echo in person and you will see what i mean.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
I have noticed that about redmax and shindaiwa. The cases look real flimsy. I have echos and they take some real abuse. 8 years of hellish abuse on my echo hca260 and case has never cracked. Take a look at an echo in person and you will see what i mean.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes you are right about the new echo units they are beefy.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Yes you are right about the new echo units they are beefy.
Never had a problem with cases nut have had gears strip after 5 years of cutting 3/4-1" woody growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I've seen quite a few of those break in that fashion, and it can usually be traced to being transported in the open position in a fashion the keeps pressure on the blades during transport. Newer gear boxes (on the AHS254, AHS242 etc) have additional reinforcement at that area of the gear box. That kind of damage generally won't happen under normal operating conditions, but 'normal' is a relative term.

The part number you need it 78700 for the complete assembly. Bolt this new gearhead on and go. If you decide to rebuild, the updated part number for the gear box housing and bearing assembly is P021028791. Check with your dealer/parts supplier to be sure you get a 'newer' designed gear head or check the way your guys are transporting that equipment.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procareope View Post
I've seen quite a few of those break in that fashion, and it can usually be traced to being transported in the open position in a fashion the keeps pressure on the blades during transport. Newer gear boxes (on the AHS254, AHS242 etc) have additional reinforcement at that area of the gear box. That kind of damage generally won't happen under normal operating conditions, but 'normal' is a relative term.

The part number you need it 78700 for the complete assembly. Bolt this new gearhead on and go. If you decide to rebuild, the updated part number for the gear box housing and bearing assembly is P021028791. Check with your dealer/parts supplier to be sure you get a 'newer' designed gear head or check the way your guys are transporting that equipment.
Is it difficult to change the gear box if the gears are good?

I messed with one and I ended up with a bunch of little needle bears all over the place. I had to stick them back in by hand and hold then in place with grease.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
We have 2 different models of these hedge trimmers and both have had the gear box crack. Everybody that have used them really likes the units. Now I am out of warranty so $50 to much to risk.

Attachment 281608

Attachment 281609

I will figure out a way to use the power head for trimmer. Any body else have problems with them.
thats one hell of a crack. looks like it blew up. It does look like an older unit though. am I correct?

You can replace the gear box on those for $50? I would have thought that part was much more.

If its a common problem I would just save the motor for use on an edger or something and get a different hedge trimmer.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

were you trailering them in the folded out (cutting position) or did you or your guys always make sure to articulate them back and strap them to the shaft when they were on the trailer?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
were you trailering them in the folded out (cutting position) or did you or your guys always make sure to articulate them back and strap them to the shaft when they were on the trailer?
thats an interesting point. Even though there are non articulating trimmers I would think, now that you mention it, that folding them back would create much less stress on them while bouncing on the trimmer rack.

But what about the non articulating ones?