Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Cat 257D any thoughts?

Im looking at buying a new skid steer.

I currently have a 2004 Cat 242B with about 975 hrs.

Im looking to change to a track machine.

Im looking at the Cat 257D. Its a 2013.

Has anyone used it, pros con of this machine. Im assuming it has some of the diesel emissions equipment?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the new D machines are nice . They made a ton of improvements over the c machines. You may want to find out a delivery date. We ordered a 289 d in August and was told that it wouldn't be in till after Jan 1. Now we are hearing April for that machine. Since then we decided to go with a 299 D with the new Kubota engine, our dealer had the 299 in stock but it needed a ton of extras added on for what we wanted to use it for. Hope to have it delivered some time next week as they are waiting for the debris kit and a few other things to come in. I have personally put over 200 hrs on a early D machine and can tell you that they are nice machines
Old 03-11-2015, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Marek:

take a look at a Gehl RT175. much larger cab than the 257/259, quieter & better fuel consumption with a Yanmar engine (CAT uses Kubota even though it says CAT), easy entry and exiting the machine, really strong lift arm and a fair price.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaders user View Post
Marek:

take a look at a Gehl RT175. much larger cab than the 257/259, quieter & better fuel consumption with a Yanmar engine (CAT uses Kubota even though it says CAT), easy entry and exiting the machine, really strong lift arm and a fair price.
You know for a fact it get's better fuel consumption than the Cat?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2015, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

from what I have heard, that is right. Yanmar engines have always been more fuel efficient than Kubota.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
from what I have heard, that is right. Yanmar engines have always been more fuel efficient than Kubota.
I just thought it was a pretty sweeping statement without any data. Do you have hard data proving that the Yanmar engines are more fuel efficient than the Kubota engines, or is it just what you've heard?

I sold a lot of machines in my day and red flags fly for me whenever I hear the words "always" or "never".
Old 03-15-2015, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Paw View Post
Pilot controls much more responsive than is predecessor. Took about an hour to get used to the handling. Also the new tier 4 final engines are really driving up the prices. Haven't fully decided yet, no new units in Ontario at the moment. Has to come from the factory in North Carolina, which at this time, has a limited supply.
Surprised you found them more responsive, most feel EH controls are always less responsive than Pilots, or at least do not have the same feel. The D series responds more violently and fast than the pilots once it responds, but it still doesn't have that same feeling. It's a trade off though.

The D series went up 10% or so over C/C2 which 257/259 was never made in, price jump from B3 to D may have been higher. Tier 4 Final drove prices up on every brand.

That price does sound high but i'm sure region has a lot to do with it, would have to know the other prices to really know how far off it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
Yeah. We used to get customers from Canada contact us in Wisconsin all the time trying to buy Bobcats down here because their prices were much higher.
Heck go over one state and prices skyrocket lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
I sold a lot of machines in my day and red flags fly for me whenever I hear the words "always" or "never".
x2 a salesmans favorite words

Quote:
From your brothers cousins uncles sisters mommas boyfriend?

Both Yanmar and Kubota have been making engines for a long time and both have a lot of different models out there, it would be irresponsible to say that Yanmar engines have always been more efficient than Kubota or vice versa because very rarely is that ever the case.

If we take operating conditions out of the question though, you can look at the BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption) of each engine, which the OEM's surprisingly provide, and see the efficiency. BSFC is the best way to simply compare how efficient engines are. You can compare a 994K to the 259D in this way. Obviously other things will factor into fuel efficiency but the statement you made was simply that the Yanmar engine itself is more efficient than the Kubota. You would be wrong in this case, the Kubota actually has a slightlylower BSFC than the Yanmar, being almost 10 grams lower throughout the RPM range.

Both engines use common rail injection along with EGR and a DPF. The Yanmar is rated slightly lower in power and is not turbocharged which may or may not be an issue, on older engines the response was usually poorer from NA motors than turbo motors, but things have changed a lot over the years.

Here are the links, and for easier reading I also attached images. BSFC is the lower line in both charts.

Yanmar Brochure

Kubota Brochure
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice, thanx for the imput. They actually said they have 5 of these machines in stock right now.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your reason for going to the 257 instead of the 259 ? The torsion under carriage rides really smooth.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

to be honest I havent looked at the 259.

what is the difference between the 2?