Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

System(s) for handling estimates

Posted via Mobile Device

Going into 2014 I need to develops a systematic approach to handling estimates. I have a full-time office manager* who handles phone calls and takes down client info but during the spring especially, I am always out with my crew. I like to address estimates as quickly as possible so people can get a sense of our professionalism and sense of urgency.

Currently when an estimate comes in, my office manager takes down their information, contacts me to see when I can meet the person, then calls them back to give them a time for us to meet.

Some thoughts I've had:

Mowing estimates: have my office manager measure the property online and gather details from
The client (ie are there any hills, ditches, swing sets etc) then using our numbers my office manager could give them an estimate over the phone then send out all the paper work (service agreements and invoice for deposit)

Fertilizing and weed control- have office measure the property online and give them a price over phone based on square footage of lawn. Have her let them
Know if they have any special needs (ivy,grubs etc) we
Will discuss options in person.

Landscape installs- schedule for on day out of the week to do these, and do them all in person.

We use Measure Maps app for property measurement.

Any thoughts or help, gentlemen? Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like you have a plan.. I think it is a good idea!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am nowhere near as large as you are but I will tell you this, there is no way in the world you can price mowing a lawn without your human eye on the property. Way too many variables to consider. A potential customer is not going to tell you how difficult their lawn is over the phone either. If it was easy they wouldn't be calling, they'd be outside mowing it. I try to give my potential customers the minimum cost to operate based on how far they are from the shop. That way if they are not willing to pay that, I saved both of us some time.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 11-22-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=123hotdog;4906781]I am nowhere near as large as you are but I will tell you this, there is no way in the world you can price mowing a lawn without your human eye on the property. Way too many variables to consider. A potential customer is not going to tell you how difficult their lawn is over the phone either. If it was easy they wouldn't be calling, they'd be outside mowing it. I try to give my potential customers the minimum cost to operate based on how far they are from the shop. That way if they are not willing to pay that, I saved both of us some time.[/QUOTE
We have had very few problems pricing lawns without looking at them we priced at least 50 this year and only two tomes was there a problem one yard was just too hilly literally not mowable with a walk behind. Estimates cost at least 35.00 each to give so even if you are off 5.-10. You can adjust them with ease as you go forward.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Middle Tennessee Lawn;4906912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123hotdog View Post
I am nowhere near as large as you are but I will tell you this, there is no way in the world you can price mowing a lawn without your human eye on the property. Way too many variables to consider. A potential customer is not going to tell you how difficult their lawn is over the phone either. If it was easy they wouldn't be calling, they'd be outside mowing it. I try to give my potential customers the minimum cost to operate based on how far they are from the shop. That way if they are not willing to pay that, I saved both of us some time.[/QUOTE
We have had very few problems pricing lawns without looking at them we priced at least 50 this year and only two tomes was there a problem one yard was just too hilly literally not mowable with a walk behind. Estimates cost at least 35.00 each to give so even if you are off 5.-10. You can adjust them with ease as you go forward.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good point
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Middle Tennessee Lawn;4906912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123hotdog View Post
I am nowhere near as large as you are but I will tell you this, there is no way in the world you can price mowing a lawn without your human eye on the property. Way too many variables to consider. A potential customer is not going to tell you how difficult their lawn is over the phone either. If it was easy they wouldn't be calling, they'd be outside mowing it. I try to give my potential customers the minimum cost to operate based on how far they are from the shop. That way if they are not willing to pay that, I saved both of us some time.[/QUOTE
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. I used to go look at all of them. Not anymore. We bid most all of our new work this year online and had very little problems. Base price plus x$ per 1000 after that then we add for fences, pools. Worked out pretty good. Some days I would come back to the office and my secretary would say "I signed up 3 lawns today" all set !!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=dnc19694339;4907323]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post

I agree. I used to go look at all of them. Not anymore. We bid most all of our new work this year online and had very little problems. Base price plus x$ per 1000 after that then we add for fences, pools. Worked out pretty good. Some days I would come back to the office and my secretary would say "I signed up 3 lawns today" all set !!
That's what I like to hear!
Old 11-23-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=dnc19694339;4907323]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post

This is probably your most efficient method, you can use the tax maps for your sq/ft or goilawn I've heard works well also, which most of your larger guys use. The thing to keep in mind is you want to make it as easy as possible for the customer to do business with you,
Old 11-23-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=cpllawncare;4907501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post

This is probably your most efficient method, you can use the tax maps for your sq/ft or goilawn I've heard works well also, which most of your larger guys use. The thing to keep in mind is you want to make it as easy as possible for the customer to do business with you,
Very good point
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use google earth to measure properties almost exclusively. It's too time consuming going to a property, measuring and looking at the terrain for just mowing or fert.

The key to success for us has been knowing our service areas well. We know what areas (in general) are relatively flat and what areas have more slopes, etc.

Knowing this had made Google Earth work well for us. It probably won't work in every part of the country, but it does for us.