Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-23-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Leaf Blowing Techniques

Wondering what solo guys do to make the most efficient use of backpack blowers in terms of time and technique. I'm solo and some times I work in straight lines and some times I work in bits all over the yard kind of left to right. Any body have luck with a particular pattern or technique?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After getting a cheaper walk behind blower, the only time I use a backpack is for tight places, those things are amazing.

EDIT: Most of the time my brother is working for me, so one on the backpack and one on the walk behind blower, it has speed us up a ton, use the back pack to clear a path along fences, foundations wide enough or the other blower and the walk behind pulls most of the work now. We still use the backpack to clear more area faster.

In terms of a technique, we start from the furthest point and work to where the truck is, since 90% of our yards have to be removed.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Very interesting topic.... I am solo also and I have often scrutinized my back pack blowing technique as well.... If one is in a situation where the leaves are getting blown to the woods, I would say that a straight line left to right like you said is efficient... This is what I do as well.. I think the reason we tend to stray and do bits here and there is just our brains sub-consciously spicing things up for us.. Either way the job is getting done... As long as you are not sitting there blowing on a pile that isn't going anywhere just a couple inches every couple minutes.... I always keep a rake handy and when they start piling up, I just kind of knock the piles down to make the blowing process easier.. Good topic!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Very interesting topic.... I am solo also and I have often scrutinized my back pack blowing technique as well.... If one is in a situation where the leaves are getting blown to the woods, I would say that a straight line left to right like you said is efficient... This is what I do as well.. I think the reason we tend to stray and do bits here and there is just our brains sub-consciously spicing things up for us.. Either way the job is getting done... As long as you are not sitting there blowing on a pile that isn't going anywhere just a couple inches every couple minutes.... I always keep a rake handy and when they start piling up, I just kind of knock the piles down to make the blowing process easier.. Good topic!
You can use the blower for that. Walk over the pile and walk backwards making a tunnel. The blow the leaves up the tunnel. Works goos
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
If you are trying to blow a big pile that won't move get your mower, drop deck all the way down with blades OFF and start pushing piles like a plow to wherever you want to go. Then blow up all the leftovers and repeat if necessary.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've also looked into a push leaf lower we have 2 parking lots we must blow leaves and trash off of. I run a so,o guy with me helping so e in the leaf season(hoping for 2 guys next year). We do most of leaf cleanup with a walker mower. Wonder if using push blower would help us out any?

at$1000 for the nice billy goat model wonder if it would speed us up?
Old 11-23-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Start and one end and walk fast. HAHA. JK. Actually pick the farthest point away from the truck, learn the lawn as you start fresh, from the first time you do it. Learn and experiment the first few times and you should have a hang of the fastest and most efficient pattern. Each lawn is different. Over the past 16 years I developed more of a "walk" than a pattern. I obviously start at one particular point and as I go I get the bulk of the material out of the way first and as I go back to get the next bulk of material I do a quick little "sploosh" behind me to get anything that might remain. It's worked for us.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 11-23-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Start at the farthest point and go with the wind if possible. I vary between the blow a path and make a long line and go left/right technique mostly based on the amount of leaves and how long the run is. You need a walk behind to be any sort of efficient honestly. I run with a helper and we blow from the outside in and when we start to get a lot of leaves in front of us I set the walk behind up in one spot making a path and blow into that path advancing the leaves. Works really well

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 11-24-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It gets pretty windy here..on seceral occasions every year we end up blowing away from the truck and tarping them back which is a pain in the you know what but it's still faster than blowing into the wind
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On some properties I can use a wheeled blower and a backpack at the same time by setting the wheeled blower in a fixed position and blowing leaves into its air stream.