Register free!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old ChemLawn employees Facebook page

ATTN: Any & all OLD ChemLawn employees. Just as an f.y.i. there is a wall on Facebook titled "CHEMLAWN alumni association". This is an informal group of all old ChemLawn employees from the pre-1992-93 ServiceMaster acquisition. Specifically the Dukes & then Ecolab years from the late 60's thru early 90's. This FB wall is an open group, and has some rather interesting reminiscing and old CL photos from employees of the "original" ChemLawn!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
ATTN: Any & all OLD ChemLawn employees. Just as an f.y.i. there is a wall on Facebook titled "CHEMLAWN alumni association". This is an informal group of all old ChemLawn employees from the pre-1992-93 ServiceMaster acquisition. Specifically the Dukes & then Ecolab years from the late 60's thru early 90's. This FB wall is an open group, and has some rather interesting reminiscing and old CL photos from employees of the "original" ChemLawn!
Cool! I was there from 90-95. I could see the writing on the wall when Servicemaster first showed up.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 11-26-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto with ted. Thanks Trees. I started in the late 70's south Dallas branch. Looking forward to saying hi to many many good friends. Those were the good old days when ChemLawn/Duke brothers were true pioneers.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Post ATTN: ChemLawn Alumni

No problem guys! Always glad to help out!! Since it is an Open FB wall. Its really neat to read though the stories of ChemLawn, and to see all the old company photographs too. This Facebook group also has various mini "regional" reunions all across the country from time to time.

To this end, be advised that also on LinkedIn there is the "'Chemlawn Alumni Network Group'". Which is a Private group of Alumni of Chemlawn employees before the merger with TruGreen in '93.

Check them out at www.linkedin.com

Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm surprised that the equipment back then looks similar to today's equipment. Did they have electric reels back then?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The trucks we used had 1100 gal tanks. 800/300 split.

PTO driven John Bean Pumps

The reels actually looked like the electric Hannay Reels but they were belt/pulley driven by a shaft that ran the length of them that was connected to the PTO Shaft by a pulley as well.

My truck LR-3 ("LR" stood for Little Rock) was an International 6 speed standard with a "split" rear end. It scared the holy crap out of me a couple of times on some extreme inclines when fully loaded.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My first ChemLawn truck was #804 (February 1979 south Dallas, TX branch). My favorite was truck #1444 -- ChemScape tanker (north Dallas) >> Three (green) tanks + two 100 gal tanks toward the back. Two 1/2 inch hose reels underneath plus a one inch "tall tree" hose reel on top of the bed. Hydraulic agitation paddles in all five tanks.

These Chemscape trucks were DECADES ahead of their time >>> Even to this day nothing compares! Serious!

Then the Duke family started selling their company business -- so Chemscape trucks switched to (cheap) "lawn care style" tankers to "save money". Instead of spending over $50,000 for a "space-age" unit, ChemScape tankers cost just under $30,000 (similar to the lawn care tankers).

From that point on, ChemScape went downhill forever. ((I have many other reasons regarding this, but won't post here because the list is long)).

Photo is me August 1984. Kelly Air Force Base, San Antonio, TX. Space shuttle "Challenger" in the background.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I worked at ChemLawn in the 90's, but I was in the telephone sales room. It might have been the only job I hated in my life. My ear would be in pain at the end of the night from pressing the receiver against my head. I remember calling people and having them complain, that I was the third person who had called them that night from ChemLawn. It wasn't well organized, but they were signing up a ton of customers. I stayed the month of February & quit.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqueoque View Post
I worked at ChemLawn in the 90's, but I was in the telephone sales room. It might have been the only job I hated in my life. My ear would be in pain at the end of the night from pressing the receiver against my head. I remember calling people and having them complain, that I was the third person who had called them that night from ChemLawn. It wasn't well organized, but they were signing up a ton of customers. I stayed the month of February & quit.
Actually, it sounds to me like you may have actually worked for TruGreen-ChemLawn. Which in reality was just TruGreen with the ChemLawn name tacked onto it, after they were acquired by ServiceMaster and merged with TG in 1992. What you are describing was the typical TruGreen sales nightly "boiler room" that they had before the National "Do Not Call" list was implemented by the Feds.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
Actually, it sounds to me like you may have actually worked for TruGreen-ChemLawn. Which in reality was just TruGreen with the ChemLawn name tacked onto it, after they were acquired by ServiceMaster and merged with TG in 1992. What you are describing was the typical TruGreen sales nightly "boiler room" that they had before the National "Do Not Call" list was implemented by the Feds.
That's right. When I started there were around 30 to 40 sales people in the room, with tables and chairs, similar to what you would see in a conference or meeting room at a hotel. We didn't have desks. There were phones on the tables. There was a big board at one end of the room, with every sales person's name on it, and the management would mark a X after your name every time you made a sale. I didn't sell that many customers. I have seen some comments on Lawnsite complaining about the sales people under estimating the square footage and that might have happened. When I was there, I was given square footage that had been measured by someone else from a previous year. So I had no clue if it was right or not. The last week I was there, we finally went out to measure lawns in the daytime, and came back around 5 to start calling. Up to that point, we were calling people on the phone in the afternoon also. There were a few people selling around 10 times the average persons sales. I don't know if they were good or if they were somehow altering the square footage forms we had. It seemed unusual that a couple people with high sales numbers got fired. They were firing people who had little or no sales, so I quit before getting fired. I knew it was only time before I was next and my ears couldn't take it anymore.

Last edited by oqueoque; 02-08-2014 at 03:05 PM.