Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-29-2013, 09:38 PM
dnc19694339 dnc19694339 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 208
Florida advice

So here I am another winter hating the winter weather up here in NY.

I am writing this as we are staying on the beach in Treasure Island,FL while we have had about 7 inches of snow since I left a few days ago!

Been thinking about moving down for years and get more serious every year.

I run 2 lawn crews and 2 landscape crews right now in NY.

The areas I am thinking about moving to are St Pete/Pinellas area, Bradenton, or Sarasota.

Out of those 3 what area would I have the best chance of success? Do any of those areas have higher labor rates or less competition than the others?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Dr. Cornwallis Dr. Cornwallis is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Valrico, Fl
Posts: 379
I live in Valrico, sort of a middle to upper middle class suburb of Tampa. Parts of St. Pete are very wealthy, however, I would tend to think that you may have the highest possibility of sucess in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. There is a lot of money down there. I think that the Tampa are and it's suburbs have a lot to offer you as well. I think no matter where you go, you are going to have a lot of competition. The green industry in Florida is pretty saturated, however, it always seems like there is room for more. A lot of the businesses you see out and about in a daily basis probably wont be around in a year or two, and a lot do shoddy work. There are wealthy areas in all of the areas you listed, as well as pretty poor areas.

One of the good things about South Florida, though, is the grass grows year round (for the most part). We have no state tax down here either, and the cost of living is probably lower than in NY.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 PM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I live in Valrico, sort of a middle to upper middle class suburb of Tampa. Parts of St. Pete are very wealthy, however, I would tend to think that you may have the highest possibility of sucess in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. There is a lot of money down there. I think that the Tampa are and it's suburbs have a lot to offer you as well. I think no matter where you go, you are going to have a lot of competition. The green industry in Florida is pretty saturated, however, it always seems like there is room for more. A lot of the businesses you see out and about in a daily basis probably wont be around in a year or two, and a lot do shoddy work. There are wealthy areas in all of the areas you listed, as well as pretty poor areas.

One of the good things about South Florida, though, is the grass grows year round (for the most part). We have no state tax down here either, and the cost of living is probably lower than in NY.
I concur. I am based in South Sarasota County. You can pretty much count on a 42 week schedule for mowing and the remaining 10 weeks is divided up by Clean up work just before Thanksgiving, Christmas, New years.
You can get use to much lower utility bills especially this time of year when we just open the house up and enjoy the cold fronts, dryer weather.
Property, homes are still a buyers market,but are climbing in spite of the over all national economy. PM, me if you have any other specific questions.
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 PM
getdown getdown is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 257
Make sure to hit up The Undertow in St Pete Beach as well as Ricky T's and Sloppy Joes (across from each other) on Treasure Island...great watering holes...that's my old stomping grounds from college!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-30-2013, 03:15 PM
dnc19694339 dnc19694339 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by getdown View Post
Make sure to hit up The Undertow in St Pete Beach as well as Ricky T's and Sloppy Joes (across from each other) on Treasure Island...great watering holes...that's my old stomping grounds from college!
Funny! We are staying at the Bilmar and had thanksgiving dinner at Sloppy Joes! Good Food!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2013, 02:01 PM
getdown getdown is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Funny! We are staying at the Bilmar and had thanksgiving dinner at Sloppy Joes! Good Food!
I was going to ask if you were at the Bilmar: in my eyes, the best spot on Treasure Island...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2013, 07:15 PM
dnc19694339 dnc19694339 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 208
So I have been reading and doing google searches on the mowing/landscaping rates down in Florida. From what I have read it looks like anywhere from $60/mo and up for monthly maintenance? I have also seen where shrubs are included in these rates?
Also looked up paver installation prices and they look really low? We do alot of paver work.

What drives the prices down? Is there that much competition? Or is it that all the retirees penny pinch you guys for cut throat rates?

Right now Im starting to wonder if i can build up a business to the point where I have several crews out mowing/spraying/landscaping? Can you guys get $40/hr for labor there?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-08-2013, 07:50 PM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
So I have been reading and doing google searches on the mowing/landscaping rates down in Florida. From what I have read it looks like anywhere from $60/mo and up for monthly maintenance? I have also seen where shrubs are included in these rates?
Also looked up paver installation prices and they look really low? We do alot of paver work.

What drives the prices down? Is there that much competition? Or is it that all the retirees penny pinch you guys for cut throat rates?

Right now Im starting to wonder if i can build up a business to the point where I have several crews out mowing/spraying/landscaping? Can you guys get $40/hr for labor there?
You will have your work cut out for you. It is possible to charge as high as $40.00 per hour, how many takers may be another story. Because Florida has a very high population of semi skilled laborers paver work is very cheap. The retirees do have some influence over pricing and frequently take advantage of the labor pool available. The prices for full service maintenance can vary widely and with a year round growing season competition may prove very challenging.
Your obvious advantages include, no state income tax, low sales tax, good road system, plenty of suppliers for all phases of Landscape installation and maintenance. Compared to most of the rest of the mainland really decent weather, especially this time of year. You may not make your Second fortune here in the Sunshine State, however more than likely you will find your niche
and provide what your customers want at a fair price. The rest will be up to your abilities and the over all economy. All the best.
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:12 PM
zturncutter's Avatar
zturncutter zturncutter is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Interior South Florida
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
So I have been reading and doing google searches on the mowing/landscaping rates down in Florida. From what I have read it looks like anywhere from $60/mo and up for monthly maintenance? I have also seen where shrubs are included in these rates?
Also looked up paver installation prices and they look really low? We do alot of paver work.

What drives the prices down? Is there that much competition? Or is it that all the retirees penny pinch you guys for cut throat rates?

Right now Im starting to wonder if i can build up a business to the point where I have several crews out mowing/spraying/landscaping? Can you guys get $40/hr for labor there?
You mentioned Pavers, we have stopped bidding jobs for anyone other than current clients, they are a joke. Many latino crews will install, labor and material for $3.50 a square.
__________________
ZTurnCutter
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Tri-City Outdoors Tri-City Outdoors is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweating in Sunny Florida
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
You mentioned Pavers, we have stopped bidding jobs for anyone other than current clients, they are a joke. Many latino crews will install, labor and material for $3.50 a square.
LOL I turned in a bid today for pavers and one of the other biders came in at $3.50/sqft. When the homeowner ask I literally laugh and simple said It is impossible to have the project done correctly for that price.
We turn in bids with design,insurance certs, license and a small portfolio. Lets just say it is obvious who is the right company for the job.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Page generated in 0.09284 seconds with 7 queries