Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

An Office/Shop...Is it worth it?

This is to those of you that have taken that step and are renting or purchased a office/shop location separate from your home. Has it paid off? Was it worth the investment? Has your customer base increased as a direct result of having the office/shop location? Has it saved you money in other areas? Let's see if I have any other questions..Is theft a problem?
That's about it for now, but more will probably come up.

I've been in business almost 20 years and I've always just used my home as my base of operations. I have my equipment here, I work on everything here, and I have my office in my home but I also own a separate commercial bldg. that could be turned into a pretty nice office/shop. The office space is already there but I would have to build a small storage/shop area and would have to fence the lot in. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it. I'll be honest, my biggest concern is people breaking in and stealing or vandalizing my equipment. Thanks for your response..
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Enclosed Homesteader Trailer
7x16 Landscape Trailer
7x16 Landscape Trailer double gates
(2) Snappers Pro 52" WB's
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Whole bunch of weedeaters and blowers, etc.
[B]MainTainZ Property Services
Taking Care of What God Gave Us
Old 12-10-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your Married it is.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a shop and land about 2 miles from our house and it's deffinately nice. Nice to keep buisness and life seperate sometimes. I wouldn't worry about vandelism and theft as much as you do. If you have theft insurance and maybe take some other steps like fences or camera's and locks on things. I haven't had a single problem yet. Having my own shop and yard has alot of benefits and you can grow your buisness fatser with more room to grow and less hassle than cluttering your home up.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
I have a shop and land about 2 miles from our house and it's deffinately nice. Nice to keep buisness and life seperate sometimes. I wouldn't worry about vandelism and theft as much as you do. If you have theft insurance and maybe take some other steps like fences or camera's and locks on things. I haven't had a single problem yet. Having my own shop and yard has alot of benefits and you can grow your buisness fatser with more room to grow and less hassle than cluttering your home up.
The clutter around the house and the full garages are getting a little old. I think the shop/office will be one of my best business moves.
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Landscape Trailer
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainTainZ Property Svcs. View Post
The clutter around the house and the full garages are getting a little old. I think the shop/office will be one of my best business moves.
I constantly caught grief from my wife about having the frame for a powered bagger and the spare tire for my trailer laying around. I can't imagine having more.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in business since 2007 and have always worked at home. The first three years I was even outside. I can remember at the beginning of the season before mowing started looking at the weather and going outside to get mowers ready on days it was 45 degrees or more for a high. I now have four trucks and four mowers and its getting a little crowded. I have a detached one car garage that I work out of. When needed mowers will fit in basement (I have barn doors). I can't get my trucks in garage even if its empty. We are looking for a home with a metal building on it with a high bay door so I can pull the NPR directly in shop daily. My brother is a plumber and has had his shop in town for years and loves it. I live out in the country and love being able to go work out in the shop this time of year for a few hours and then come back in.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
1995 36" Scag Walk Behind
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
If your Married it is.
For the last 21 years..
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Landscape Trailer
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Old 12-19-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
If your Married it is.

i wish i could find a shop and just have a den/bedroom/kitchen/bath apartment as part of it. that's all i would need.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post

i wish i could find a shop and just have a den/bedroom/kitchen/bath apartment as part of it. that's all i would need.
After his divorce, one of my very best long time friends (now deceased) built a 40 x 60 ft shop (with a 14-16 ft tall ceiling), and then built a very nice 2 bedroom apartment in one of the corners of the shop. It was built just as if it was located outside (with separate walls/roof etc.)

He was a circuit judge and just loved wood working as a way to clear his mind of all of the daily negativity that came along with his job. Having to keep his mind on intricate measurements/plans needed to make furniture and cabinets (that he so loved to build) was really a great escape for him.

He just loved the idea of walking out of his apartment door directly into his shop (playpen). Another benefit of this setup was that, since both the shop and the apartment were insulated really well, his utility bills for the apartment were very very low.

We were neighbors and had a lot of common interests, so we spent an average of about 10 -12 hrs/wk together for about 20 yrs. This setup really worked out great for him.....I sure do miss him.
Stan

Last edited by StanWilhite; 12-21-2013 at 01:19 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-26-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
After his divorce, one of my very best long time friends (now deceased) built a 40 x 60 ft shop (with a 14-16 ft tall ceiling), and then built a very nice 2 bedroom apartment in one of the corners of the shop. It was built just as if it was located outside (with separate walls/roof etc.)

He was a circuit judge and just loved wood working as a way to clear his mind of all of the daily negativity that came along with his job. Having to keep his mind on intricate measurements/plans needed to make furniture and cabinets (that he so loved to build) was really a great escape for him.

He just loved the idea of walking out of his apartment door directly into his shop (playpen). Another benefit of this setup was that, since both the shop and the apartment were insulated really well, his utility bills for the apartment were very very low.

We were neighbors and had a lot of common interests, so we spent an average of about 10 -12 hrs/wk together for about 20 yrs. This setup really worked out great for him.....I sure do miss him.
Stan
Your friend sounds like he was a really good guy.
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Landscape Trailer
2012 Scag Turf Tiger

Tags
lawn care , office , storage , theft , work shop