Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-28-2013, 04:02 PM
tyler_mott85's Avatar
tyler_mott85 tyler_mott85 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 581
Has anybody trained themselves to hold their trimmer in the opposite hand?

I've always trimmed with the trigger in my right hand and walking left to right. The trimmer then throws all of the grass away from me, but towards not only beds, but windows, cars, etc. If I walk backwards the grass flings towards me, which is a safety concern, plus I'm walking backwards. Has anyone forced themselves to learn to trim in the other hand? If I would put trigger in left hand and walk right to left I would have the best of all of the options. Clippings would fling away from "danger" areas but also slightly in front of me.

Worked at a lawn company around here and we had a guy fall into a fire escape that was uncovered while he was trimming backwards.

Also wonder what difficulties would arise by requiring all future employees to trim same way.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-28-2013, 04:06 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 2,798
Just turn the opposite way. No need to change hands.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Roger Roger is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: McMurray, PA
Posts: 5,727
Yes, I learned long ago to switch hands. I have a solid shaft, gearbox driven trimmer, so it throws debris into the bed if you move left to right.

I am naturally right handed, and that is the most comfortable. When needing to do detailed work, I do use trigger in right hand. However, for routine travel along edges of beds, I am always working with trigger in left hand, walking forward. Yes, I've "been there, done that" with the stupid events of walking backward. Also, walking forward, with trigger in left hand, allows me to move more quickly than walking backward. On a given trim job, I am often transferring one hand to the other. It is easy and quick (trimmer head slows only a little on the transfer before the other hand is back on the throttle).

Bottom line: learn to work with both hands.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2014, 01:09 AM
rbljack rbljack is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Yes, I learned long ago to switch hands. I have a solid shaft, gearbox driven trimmer, so it throws debris into the bed if you move left to right.

I am naturally right handed, and that is the most comfortable. When needing to do detailed work, I do use trigger in right hand. However, for routine travel along edges of beds, I am always working with trigger in left hand, walking forward. Yes, I've "been there, done that" with the stupid events of walking backward. Also, walking forward, with trigger in left hand, allows me to move more quickly than walking backward. On a given trim job, I am often transferring one hand to the other. It is easy and quick (trimmer head slows only a little on the transfer before the other hand is back on the throttle).

Bottom line: learn to work with both hands.
x2....I switch back and forth as needed.
__________________
My Primary Equipment:
2000 Chevy 3/4 Ton Long Bed 4x4
6.5x12 Dual Ramp Trailer w/ trimmer and blower rack
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
20?? Gravely ZT1534 34" ZTR
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower with Honda engine
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl SG20 Back Pack Sprayer
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2014, 03:25 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 2,163
I am actually (I discovered this late in life) ambidextrous.
So switching back and forth as needed from left to right moving backwards and forwards comes natural without thought to me.
Watching me do it drives other people insane, because I guess it's like curling your tongue, there are people who can do it, and people who just get frustrated trying to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2014, 05:32 AM
93Chevy's Avatar
93Chevy 93Chevy is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,811
I have trained myself fairly well to trim left handed. For detail work, like Roger said, and also whipping wide open areas and hillsides, I go right handed. Took a long time for me to train myself left handed and I still don't think I'm "good," but hey you'll get there sometime.
__________________
"Please report all incidents of vomitus and fecal contamination to management immediately"

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-2014, 06:39 AM
Tn2317 Tn2317 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 50
I think this is a great idea. In the police dept. we trained to shoot with our weak hand and kept back up guns, knives accessible to our left hand. Never crossed my mind to do the same with the trimmer. I'll be training on it this season. Thanks for the post. Again, great idea.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-01-2014, 07:43 AM
sjessen sjessen is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 1,240
Trimming holding the trigger with the left hand is much faster, at least for me. Came upon it by accident years ago. Wouldn't do it any other way. But, yes, it is hard for right handers to learn.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Tn2317 Tn2317 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Trimming holding the trigger with the left hand is much faster, at least for me. Came upon it by accident years ago. Wouldn't do it any other way. But, yes, it is hard for right handers to learn.
Guess I'd better start practicing before the grass starts growing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-01-2014, 07:05 PM
sjessen sjessen is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn2317 View Post
Guess I'd better start practicing before the grass starts growing.
Hey Kevin!

Nice to see the sun and temps in the 60's.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.10180 seconds with 7 queries