Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Hook lift truck - Need Help

Hey guys haven't posted in a while but just recently we purchase a 385 peterbilt and installed a 20 ton hooklift system from swap loader. The truck met all of the specs required for the hooklift system. We loaded the truck up with about 17 tons and went to pick it off the ground the front tires came right off the ground. We emptied the truck so it only had about 13 tons and the front tires came off the ground about an inch or so. We have a 4900 international with a 10 ton hook and have maxed it out more than I can remember and never had any problems with the front wheels coming off the ground. If any one has a setup like this and can give me some insight as to what we maybe doing wrong we would greatly appreciate it. We are supposed to hear from the reps by the end of the week. I attach a picture. The box that we are lifting is a 14ft by 8ft with 6ft sides and a 54" hook. I was thinking we should get a 16ft box with a 61" hook height and hoping that would solve the issues.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

get a hydraulic roller for the rear. basically a cylinder that pushes down on a roller which applies pressure to the ground forcing the front wheels down. Got one on my rolloff and i have lifted 30+ tonne with it while keeping the front wheels down. just be very careful and try to avoid using it on really hot days while on asphalt.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if you look closely you can see it lowered in this picture. Very last picture i posted at the bottom of the page.http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=402236&page=5

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

That was going to be my last resort. The hydro stabilizer defeats the purpose of us getting the hooklift rather then a roll off. I probably could have save about 15000 going with a roll off setup. We feel that the hooklift does less damage then a typical roll off because your able to back up under the boxes elimanating the ruts that are left from the dumpster wheels when you have to pull it up on the truck.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Also what type of suspension are you running on your truck? We have a Hendrickson rubber mounted. Lastly how much weight can you lift on your truck without the rear roller?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Last question, do you have a pintle plate on your truck? The truck was just built for us and now they tell me I may need a stabilizer bar and I don't want it to ruin the plate they built for us. Detailed pictures of your setup would be greatly apprecaited if you can send them.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think your problem is how short the boxes are. We run 17' bodies on our single axle. I have pulled 12 ton on our single axle before just barely pulling the wheels off the ground. It is obviously not ideal but then again it only happens every once in a while.

In the pic you show if your box was a few feet longer it would still be touching the ground, in turn the not all the weight would be on the truck yet, and it would allow the hook to get more over center on the truck. That looks like a very short truck for a tandem how long of a box will that hoist accept?
Old 12-31-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also in my opinion having a different hook height really would not make much of a difference.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

The unit is an SL-400 and they say we can run boxes from 14ft to 18ft. The ideal box for this setup is 16ft, it will be about 10" past the pintel plate. Our biggest concern was as soon as we backed up to the box and tried to pull it off the ground the front of the truck went about 5 ft in the air. We figure we were trying to lift approx 17 tons. That is why I thought have a 61.75" hook would help a bit but I don't think it will make a 8 ton difference. Once the box was coming over the truck the front went down but went back up when we pick it completely off the ground and at that point that is we're I thought the longer box would help us. Hope this makes sense.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are pulling the wheels before the box is even off the ground you may have to go with some sort of stabilizer like Sean said. 17 tons is still an awful lot of weight for a tandem, I am guessing that is gonna put your gross around 60-65k?? I would be a little concerned that over time pulling that much with a standard hook container vs a cable, may pull the A-frame off of the front of the containers.

The specs on that swap loader are super short. Only 14' from the hook to the rear rollers. That blows me away, that is a crazy short hoist for a tandem axel truck.