Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-04-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Tow behind aerator on garden tractor?

What are peoples thoughts on a tow behind aerator on a garden tractor. 36" and 48" plug aerator, they get The job done well,and minimal investment seeing as I own the garden tractor, also followed up with either a walk behind and /or tow behind seeder
Old 01-05-2014, 04:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do all my plugging with a 48" JD plugger and my old JD garden tractor. It does a great job and covers the ground pretty quickly.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always wondered this also. I am interested to hear from some of the "heavy hitters" on this
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Okay. So im not the only one doing this. I have a 774-634-619975 wheelhorse, decent looking machine to tow it around. Any others do this or have thoughts on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2014, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know that Pro Street Camaro (here on LS) uses his Z to pull around the same plugger I have only in the 40" version instead of the 48" like I have. Others have also posted about doing this, and you should be able to find the threads if you do a search here in one or more of these forums.

I add 250 lbs to my weight tray to make sure I get good penetration in hard ground. Works just fine too.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a tow behind and tried to use it behind my Z mower and it did not work out too well. The problem I ran into is the lack of maneuverability. If you have wide open lawns with plenty of turn around area this might work out for you but it didn't for me. I'd sell you mine if you were close.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I towed a 48" plugger behind my 1991 deere 318 this fall. I asked aout it on here and everyone said the same thing, do it. I did it and the jobs went very fast. I had two bags of concrete on the tray, neatly wrapped up in a tarp them ratchet strapped down to keep them from moving or spreading concrete in the yards. It worked great.

That being said, I think it deserves to be said that the right tractor is needed to do this reliably. I wouldnt do it with a small tractor from lowes or HD or anything with a k46 rear end. They dont like pulling hard loads up hills for hours on end. My 318 has liquid filled ag tires and I can add 300lbs to the rear weight bracket if I need too. I never had a worry about slipping a tire or or not making it up a hill. The 318 is the size of normal riding mower, but thats where the similarities end. It is designed for ground engaging work, the big box riding mowers are not.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my 4 wheeler and a Ryan.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

No no no....... No Home Depot special here! I have a growing collection of wheelhorses. I will be using this one . Similar to your JD, but i am allergic to that green/yellow stuff. It also Runs the roto-tilling end of my business, with the 36" tractor mounted tiller.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a nice WH. I dont mind the green and yellow, but Im partial to power steering and hydraulics. especially the 4 way hydro 54" plow when moving snow.