Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fertilizer killing manatees?

If your in the lawn care industry in Florida be prepared to be regulated out like the coal industry elsewhere. The article below actually has a person saying fertilizer is killing manatees, and every drop of water has contamination. Good grief.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/24400546/...g#.UtARKWt5mK0
Old 01-10-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Of course. The tree huggers lost the last round so now they up the ante by putting a face on the "victims". After all who would support poisoning Minnie the Manatee?
Old 01-10-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Of course. The tree huggers lost the last round so now they up the ante by putting a face on the "victims". After all who would support poisoning Minnie the Manatee?
Haha well put. And a broken record tactic. They may not have totally lost any round. They shoot for the moon and sometimes only land a moon rock or two but over time they end up with the whole moon in the end. They call it "nudge". At least we had a chuckle with that Russian ship full of global warming activists stuck in the very Antarctic ice they were there to prove didn't exist.

we in this industry better wake up before there is no more industry The war on Monsanto is a war on us and a real one.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We can help ourselves by being responsible. I don't live in Florida but it is a normal practice in Maryland and South Carolina for homeowners as well as landscapers to leave excess fertilizer on hard surfaces. I'm sure it is done everywhere. Taking a few minutes to blow the excess material into the grass will help prevent some runoff. Think about it.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
We can help ourselves by being responsible. I don't live in Florida but it is a normal practice in Maryland and South Carolina for homeowners as well as landscapers to leave excess fertilizer on hard surfaces. I'm sure it is done everywhere. Taking a few minutes to blow the excess material into the grass will help prevent some runoff. Think about it.
Don't kid yourself, you could do whatever responsible act you want in their eyes anything but a hemp skirt is evil. By the way can you provide one non bias scientific paper showing a correlation between granules on hard surface and environmental destruction? I think most of us are responsible, gets costly flushing products we have to pay for down the sewer. I'll tell you what's destructive wind farms killing eagles
Old 01-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
You can leave landscapers, PCO's generally out of your post. I have seen more contamination due to careless homeowners than professionals in the industry.
At least for SW Florida. Homeowners are rarely if ever held to blame or accountable for their actions. Professionals are generally left taking the blame, with little or no recourse.
easy-lift guy
Old 01-10-2014, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't need an environmentalist to tell me that excess fertilizers and weed killers harm the environment. I live next to the Inlet and would like to see the shell fish survive. Additionally I am not a tree hugger but rather a concerned responsible landscaper and I will call out my occupation when I see a need. We can lead by example.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I don't need an environmentalist to tell me that excess fertilizers and weed killers harm the environment. I live next to the Inlet and would like to see the shell fish survive. Additionally I am not a tree hugger but rather a concerned responsible landscaper and I will call out my occupation when I see a need. We can lead by example.
Are the shellfish dying in your area? And if so has there been any non bias scientific studies linking it to fertilizers? Please post the link. You don't need an environmentalist, do you have a science or chemistry degree and have you conducted research? Or are you just buying into the talking points you hear?

Fertilizers and herbicides feed the world not kill it!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

By the way the article was about fertilizer. I never mentioned herbicides and neither did the article so why did you introduce it? That's called a straw man argument
Old 01-10-2014, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have one of the largest Manatee viewing areas in the state. The Apollo Beach Teco power station. They are attracted by the warm waters discharged from the plant. These animals are heavily studied by at least a dozen schools and groups. Their numbers have steadily increased year after year. The Tampa Bay is a natural basin for most of the areas runoff and industrial discharges. You would think with that working against them their numbers would decline either by death or their natural instinct to migrate to better waters. Professionals are not the problem. I'm doubtful homeowners are to blame either. Notoriously cheap, the DIY types would be more likely to under apply fert to save money. This image of guys pouring bags of product into storm drains and flooding yards with liquid products just doesn't exist. I have yet to see piles of prills on sidewalks and certainly never puddles of liquid after a professional application. Funny how pictures of those supposed acts never make the news.