Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 AM
2 Cycle's Avatar
2 Cycle 2 Cycle is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Buzzards Bay, MA
Posts: 154
Lunch while landscaping. What do you pack? And in wha

Gone are the days when I can no longer not eat a lunch when doing this. Had a day this past summer where i nearly passed out from not eating. So i just was wondering what some of you guys do for lunch, whether you grab subs or pack lunches. Right now i use a plastic lunch box thing and usually pack 2 sandwiches and chips. Bologna seems to be in there more than i would like.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2014, 10:44 AM
KS_Grasscutter's Avatar
KS_Grasscutter KS_Grasscutter is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 3,108
We stop at a fast food place. Usually spend half an hour or so to relax, eat, use the restroom, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2014, 11:01 AM
ColliCut Land Mgmt ColliCut Land Mgmt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: O'Fallon, MO
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
We stop at a fast food place. Usually spend half an hour or so to relax, eat, use the restroom, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
+1. If we're really in a hurry we'll do gas station sandwiches.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2014, 11:06 AM
2 Cycle's Avatar
2 Cycle 2 Cycle is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Buzzards Bay, MA
Posts: 154
I only do fast food as a last resort, not that i don't like it but it seems to knock me out. Just get tired after nailing burgers
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 AM
exmarkking's Avatar
exmarkking exmarkking is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 970
Bring bananas, oranges, fruit with you and pack a sammich or two, with a gallon of water. You'll feel like a million bucks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2014, 12:06 AM
Trees Too's Avatar
Trees Too Trees Too is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USDA Zone 6a
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Cycle View Post
Gone are the days when I can no longer not eat a lunch when doing this. Had a day this past summer where i nearly passed out from not eating...
It's never good to not eat & drink during the day. Especially in our line of work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColliCut Land Mgmt View Post
+1. If we're really in a hurry we'll do gas station sandwiches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Cycle View Post
I only do fast food as a last resort, not that i don't like it but it seems to knock me out. Just get tired after nailing burgers
Best to avoid fast food & gas station sandwiches. Not the healthiest choices. And it will drain your wallet faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Bring bananas, oranges, fruit with you and pack a sammich or two, with a gallon of water. You'll feel like a million bucks!
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree w/ this one! The only added recommendation is nutrient bars and/or packets of powdered nutrient drinks to mix as you go thru your day.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 AM
2 Cycle's Avatar
2 Cycle 2 Cycle is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Buzzards Bay, MA
Posts: 154
Gas station subs. Sounds delicious, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Trees Too's Avatar
Trees Too Trees Too is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USDA Zone 6a
Posts: 815
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
It's never good to not eat & drink during the day. Especially in our line of work!


Best to avoid fast food & gas station sandwiches. Not the healthiest choices. And it will drain your wallet faster!

I agree w/ this one! The only added recommendation is nutrient bars and/or packets of powdered nutrient drinks to mix as you go thru your day.
The only other thing that I can add to this "menu" is some of those 'snac pacs' of yogurt to get your dairy, and cottage cheese or tuna to get your daily allotment of protein.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2014, 11:32 AM
BeachysLawn's Avatar
BeachysLawn BeachysLawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 265
My wife packs my lunch for me in a small blue cooler. It always has a yogurt, bananna, ham or turkey with cheddar cheese sandwich on a potato roll, a string cheese, a couple other fruits or veggies and some type of nuts. I have something to munch on all day for $2.15 total...

For drink, I buy big cases of water from Sam's that cost $.10 per 20oz bottle of water.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachysLawn View Post
My wife packs my lunch for me in a small blue cooler. It always has a yogurt, bananna, ham or turkey with cheddar cheese sandwich on a potato roll, a string cheese, a couple other fruits or veggies and some type of nuts. I have something to munch on all day for $2.15 total...

For drink, I buy big cases of water from Sam's that cost $.10 per 20oz bottle of water.
Sounds like my cooler but I add bottles of Gatorade for rapid absorption of depleted electrolytes. Heat cramps were biggest problem this past summer and the potassium in G ade fixes it the quickest. Prefer proteins over carbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 01-20-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.09928 seconds with 7 queries