Register free!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Poa control

I'm thinking of spraying simazine on bermuda grass in GA for Poa. I sprayed this past Oct but I think because of the rain we had here there was some Poa break thru. I don't normally spray simazine now. But just wondering if I did, Would this delay spring green-up in my bermuda grass this year? I just need to spot spray some areas that had some break thru. Really not many yards. Any opinions..
Old 01-18-2014, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Glyphosate would be a much easier, more effective alternative as long as it is Only Dormant Bermuda and nothing else as far as grass types.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-18-2014, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

lawnrx, simazine is fine right now just get it soon before it seeds out. I used spectacle this year and haven't seen not one bit of poa annua. something to consider for next year. simazine doesn't last long in the soil. Where at in ga are you?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

lawnrx, I sent you a pm. I see what you do/did for a career
Old 01-18-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Simazine, atrazine, gly on Bermuda,

Maybe msm or celcius not sure about label.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have never had much luck with Atrazine or Simazine as a post control for Poa Annua. Atrazine used on Bermuda in transition scares me a helluva lot more than Glyphosate. If there is damage, it is much longer lasting. Certainty is labeled for post control of Poa(but is extremely slow in cooler temps) and of course, Revolver is labeled for it as well. Celsius and MSM are useless against Poa... Poa is not listed on the label for either and speaking from past experience, they do not work.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-19-2014, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I have never had much luck with Atrazine or Simazine as a post control for Poa Annua. Atrazine used on Bermuda in transition scares me a helluva lot more than Glyphosate. If there is damage, it is much longer lasting. Certainty is labeled for post control of Poa(but is extremely slow in cooler temps) and of course, Revolver is labeled for it as well. Celsius and MSM are useless against Poa... Poa is not listed on the label for either and speaking from past experience, they do not work.
I've always had very good results spraying atrazine. We use it in feburary up here for round 1.

Here is the UGA recommendations. It's an iPhone app I have and it's great for weeds, disease and other turf issues.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2014, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Attached is why I am not a fan of the Roundup Treatment even on Bermuda. It was 6 degrees for 2 days straight and has been under freezing everynight for 3 weeks. And still, Bermuda is green underneath. This is not next to the house or driveway or sidewalk. It is out in the middle of the lawn.
With all of that being said, I usually still take the chance with roundup.

Name:  grass.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  83.8 KB
Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=jad004;4939399]Attached is why I am not a fan of the Roundup Treatment even on Bermuda. It was 6 degrees for 2 days straight and has been under freezing everynight for 3 weeks. And still, Bermuda is green underneath. This is not next to the house or driveway or sidewalk. It is out in the middle of the lawn.
With all of that being said, I usually still take the chance with roundup.

Attachment 284314[/QUOTE

Gly will onle be transferred thru foliage not stems
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Gly will onle be transferred thru foliage not stems
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

Not saying it will kill it, but it will damage it. Just saying you better check your bermudas before you spray them to make sure.