Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Continue or quit?

Hey guys. I started mowing for money late last year. I had all equipment paid for but in bad shape. I had 3 regular accounts, few single timers, and a couple of landscape jobs. This is my current situation and I would like some input.

My truck needed repairs beyond its worth so I sold it. I overloaded my trailer and cracked the axle. My walk behind is undergoing some welding jobs on the deck. So pretty much I will need all new equipment to continue.

I would like to continue doing this because I enjoy it. I still have the 3 accounts. I can borrow enough to buy a used truck and a new trailer and I will need a new mower. In order to afford the loan payment I will need at least 10 more accounts.

Should I spend money on advertising and try to get some accounts and then borrow or just stop my operation? I should have the equipment prior to giving quotes in my opinion.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

All my stuff is used but its paid for
Old 01-19-2014, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ate you older than 20 or younger?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you really enjoy the work, get a job with another company and start saving. most businesses fail because they are under capitalized. I am a fan of good debt, but in your position it sounds like borrowing may be a bad idea. if you already had 20 or 30 accounts, then sure borrowing at 0% wouldnt be a bad idea. but you are talking about borrowing with no way way to pay for it.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedlawn View Post
Hey guys. I started mowing for money late last year. I had all equipment paid for but in bad shape. I had 3 regular accounts, few single timers, and a couple of landscape jobs. This is my current situation and I would like some input.

My truck needed repairs beyond its worth so I sold it. I overloaded my trailer and cracked the axle. My walk behind is undergoing some welding jobs on the deck. So pretty much I will need all new equipment to continue.

I would like to continue doing this because I enjoy it. I still have the 3 accounts. I can borrow enough to buy a used truck and a new trailer and I will need a new mower. In order to afford the loan payment I will need at least 10 more accounts.

Should I spend money on advertising and try to get some accounts and then borrow or just stop my operation? I should have the equipment prior to giving quotes in my opinion.
Doesnt make sense to add additional lawns just to pay the debt service on a loan for equipment that you will use to support your current three lawns. Not to be offensive but this is not an "operation." If you want to establish a business get a job, save enough to by decent equipment and build a customer base starting part time, and have at it.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Doesnt make sense to add additional lawns just to pay the debt service on a loan for equipment that you will use to support your current three lawns. Not to be offensive but this is not an "operation." If you want to establish a business get a job, save enough to by decent equipment and build a customer base starting part time, and have at it.
To many BIG time lco owners it may not be an operation. I like what I do and I like to spend time outdoors. I also do 2 lawn for no pay. They are my local volunteer rescue squads and I'm a member of one.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I am 29 and already have a $70k year job. I can't afford to leave and work for $10 hr for another company.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

Old 01-19-2014, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I am 29 and already have a $70k year job. I can't afford to leave and work for $10 hr for another company.
What is your equipment list and what is exactly wrong with them? What are your mechanical skills when it comes to working on them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
What is your equipment list and what is exactly wrong with them? What are your mechanical skills when it comes to working on them?
Posted via Mobile Device
At the moment I have nothing to pull a trailer with. As far as everything else, I have a 50in walk behind which is being repaired by me. It needs a deck welded and a bracket repaired. The trailer is a used 5x10 with out a gate. All husqvarna handhelds.

Im looking at a $6k truck, a new trailer and a ztr. My tax returns will buy everything except the truck.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
At the moment I have nothing to pull a trailer with. As far as everything else, I have a 50in walk behind which is being repaired by me. It needs a deck welded and a bracket repaired. The trailer is a used 5x10 with out a gate. All husqvarna handhelds.

Im looking at a $6k truck, a new trailer and a ztr. My tax returns will buy everything except the truck.
Well here at my thoughts. From what you have explained this is business as usual for a lco and more so the issues of a small one. Truck issues are normally over exaggerated by mechanics unless its frame issues. I had a 15cent o-ring go out on the valve in the valve body and I had 3 mechanics saying I needed a rebuild. I don't think borrowing money is your answer either. If it was me I would upgrade your trailer and buy a cheap second truck. 6k is way more than I would ever spend. I own 5 trucks and 2 of them with plows. I Payed 12k for all of them combined. I got a dodge 1998 1500- bought with 128k for 2k (had no issues) a 1990 Chevy 2500- 200k 3rd motor came with newer Meyer 7.6 plow, 3k for the pakage. 91 ford f250 with 118k and came with a fisher plow, needs to be painted but the truck is sound-3k. 93 Chevy 3500 extended cab with 6.5 diesel with toys, spotless southern truck with 210k - got for 4k and came with a 96 3500 hd stake truck with a 11ft flatbed with a 6.5 diesel. All that truck needs is a headgasket.

I would really evaluate if your truck is really junk. Just because it may not be worth putting money into it value wise, it might be worth putting money I to it business wise. You can pick up good 2wd trucks for 2-3k all day long. To me buying a nice truck with 150k is better than a truck with 100k. 100k means its on the verge of something expensive, 150k means the first round of expensive things have been repaired. Also of you buy a truck for 3k it won't loose value. Just some food for thought. You don't sound that bad off. Also 100 lawns in 5 Yeats would be east.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I realize it's a loaded post. I'd like to continue but don't mind walking away for a year if I have to.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer