Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2014, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if 12 month month is NOT a good option,

Why are so many asking about it?

My company offers 12 month as an option. I try to sell it first.

The reason I went this route is I compiled a list of problems the green industry faces and having a diverse customer base, per cut, per month 8 month, and per month year round, covers all of your bases financially.

Another reason is I do what we call PMP or practice makes perfect.

"practice practicing what best practices practice"

do what the company you want be like does over and over and over again, and eventually youll be like them.

The next step is buy them, or surpass them.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Because some people are narrowed minded

I don't include mulch and such but I do for all maintenance. Blowouts start ups etc.

I have one package that includes annuals as well

Its really not a matter of not being able to manage money correctly, rather than just being able to have cash flow at all times. Thats severely important when having employees
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great points whiffy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tyler, this is because in service industry many companies have used the "service contract" to bill things that don't get done. It's a real obstacle here too. Only properties here I have that want a fixed price are ones with board members. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey man, each business is different. The town im originally from i would have never tried it!

Here it makes works.
I think it depends on the area and the caliber of client. As i said i have a well diversified list.

I believe its the best route for commercial or HOA though.

As for residential, i think its sort of in between.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Because some people are narrowed minded "

Wouldnt it be narrow minded to think that everyones business should operate the same?

Different strategys work in different areas. Demographics play an important part In what marketing, sales and operational practices are effective.
In our area 12 monthly payments don't fly. The average income in our county is about the lowest in the state. It is a heavy retirement area with alot of seniors. They never want to owe money they want their bill so it can be paid.
The benefit to the forum is the experiences of different business owners in different areas. You can see what has worked in one area may not in another.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post

Wouldnt it be narrow minded to think that everyones business should operate the same?

Different strategys work in different areas. Demographics play an important part In what marketing, sales and operational practices are effective.
In our area 12 monthly payments don't fly. The average income in our county is about the lowest in the state. It is a heavy retirement area with alot of seniors. They never want to owe money they want their bill so it can be paid.
The benefit to the forum is the experiences of different business owners in different areas. You can see what has worked in one area may not in another.
Agreed, I used to be in an area where the average income was about 34k and the home was about 150. Where I am now the income is 75+ and the homes are 400k
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post

That's what I meant. People dismiss everything just because they don't believe in it. Look at some previous posts on the topic
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
That's what I meant. People dismiss everything just because they don't believe in it. Look at some previous posts on the topic
Posted via Mobile Device
People tend to give general advice because most people operate within common parameters.

49 states do not have their own section here. 1 does.

I have not seen that many posts now. Though when I first came here there were many posts where LCO's had tried the 12 month billing. Many had problems with large material costs up front such as with mulch. With not much cash on hand or flowing in the spring.

Then seemed to be no shortage of customers that would sign you for 12 month billings. That would drop you come June and not want to pay you anymore.

Balanced billing holds no advantage for me. I do a job where extra materials or had to hire extra help. Having to pay these added costs are going to cause cash flow problems if the payments get stretched out.

I'd rather save my money from the peak work season so come the winter months and early spring.

Like a fat person saying I can't lose weight yet they do not cut back.

Saying you are broke in the winter means you have to cut back on spending during the busy time of the year so you will have money during the slow time.

A wise man, once said:

Because you fail to plan does not make it an emergency.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jimlewis is the best one to chime in here