Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-27-2014, 03:33 PM
OGLinc OGLinc is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3
Mean Green Mowers

Wondering if anyone is using one of these mowers and how it is working out? Any issues or breakdowns? They look like a well built mower.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-2014, 02:59 AM
Jessefloyd1 Jessefloyd1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Posts: 50
$1,300 for a 20" that doesn't mulch seems a bit high to me. They do look cool though...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-29-2014, 10:58 PM
OGLinc OGLinc is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3
I know it seems high, but there is no fuel costs or maintenance to do. They do make a mulching plate for it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Jessefloyd1 Jessefloyd1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Posts: 50
Don't get me wrong, I think it's really cool. I'm in FL though and I think the nearest dealer is in Illinois so any issues would be a pain to deal with over such a distance.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 AM
W&Wlawncare W&Wlawncare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 150
You get so much more than just a mower that you don't have to fill up with gas everyday. You get a new angle to market to new customers. In a sea of gas powered commercial mowers, it's hard to stand out among the crowd just by your equipment choice. However, Mean Green's environmentally friendly and quietly operating units open up so many new opportunities for lawn care companies to differentiate themselves. They will ease the griping of customers/neighbors who complain you come to early to mow their lawns. Which alleviates some neighbors "bad mouthing" your company to others, who think that you have no respect for their sleep schedules. Also, Think of all the possible marketing pitches you could make to environmentally conscious clients, who want to do their fair share for the environment. Also you have to take into consideration all of the curious neighbors and people around you who will be inquiring about your unique mower... How is it so quiet? etc etc (which will really just be a great ice breaker for you to pitch your services to them). I get that these mowers are not similarly priced to a gas model, but once you take into consideration all of the positive benefits that are included in the electric mower package they seem to be on a pretty level playing field. I would LOVE to see this company take off! They are HQ'd right in my backyard and I think they have a potentially great product. I would also love to hear from anyone out there using these mowers.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:45 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by W&Wlawncare View Post
You get so much more than just a mower that you don't have to fill up with gas everyday. You get a new angle to market to new customers. In a sea of gas powered commercial mowers, it's hard to stand out among the crowd just by your equipment choice. However, Mean Green's environmentally friendly and quietly operating units open up so many new opportunities for lawn care companies to differentiate themselves. They will ease the griping of customers/neighbors who complain you come to early to mow their lawns. Which alleviates some neighbors "bad mouthing" your company to others, who think that you have no respect for their sleep schedules. Also, Think of all the possible marketing pitches you could make to environmentally conscious clients, who want to do their fair share for the environment. Also you have to take into consideration all of the curious neighbors and people around you who will be inquiring about your unique mower... How is it so quiet? etc etc (which will really just be a great ice breaker for you to pitch your services to them). I get that these mowers are not similarly priced to a gas model, but once you take into consideration all of the positive benefits that are included in the electric mower package they seem to be on a pretty level playing field. I would LOVE to see this company take off! They are HQ'd right in my backyard and I think they have a potentially great product. I would also love to hear from anyone out there using these mowers.
Hi I'm with ....... Landscaping and I'd like to tell you about our environmently friendly mowers. Customer, I don't care what in the $*** you now my lawn with as long as it gets done. Ya not a good sell in my area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2014, 02:41 AM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,789
With the improvements in battery technology I wouldn't be surprised to see DC powered mowers become more commonplace. But, I wonder what the price of the batteries would be....not to mention the charger, should it need replacing.
__________________
Shut 'er down Buford....she's slangin' oil !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,580
I don't like companies that use "funny math" to try to justify overcharging for a product. If you look at their cost table you'll see that they compute the 48 gas powered stander's operating cost at $520 for 20 hours at $6.50 an hour. In this universe 20 times $6.50 isn't $520. It's $130. That puts the per month cost of the gas stander at $336.67 verses Green Machine's cost per month of $377.52. MONEY IN YOUR POCKET at end of month should have $40.85 under the gas mower's column, not the Green Machine's column.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Lechfla Lechfla is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Port st Lucie, fl
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I don't like companies that use "funny math" to try to justify overcharging for a product. If you look at their cost table you'll see that they compute the 48 gas powered stander's operating cost at $520 for 20 hours at $6.50 an hour. In this universe 20 times $6.50 isn't $520. It's $130. That puts the per month cost of the gas stander at $336.67 verses Green Machine's cost per month of $377.52. MONEY IN YOUR POCKET at end of month should have $40.85 under the gas mower's column, not the Green Machine's column.
$130 is the weekly cost at 20 hrs of mowing per week. Multiply that by 4 weeks and you get $520/ month
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lechfla View Post
$130 is the weekly cost at 20 hrs of mowing per week. Multiply that by 4 weeks and you get $520/ month
Hmm.. You are right. I can challenge the $6.50 an hour cost to operate as being way too high. I'd think half of that would be better.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric mower , mean green mower , mean. green

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.08953 seconds with 7 queries