Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-27-2014, 07:17 PM
williams lcm williams lcm is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: orlando fl
Posts: 774
" my neighbor is now going to cut lawn"

I have heard this many times throughout the years. Mostly current customers trying to save some $$$. They usually go with the neighbor to cut the grass and save some cash. But as you all know the neighbor is not a proffesional lawn care company. Meaning no edging and poor quality cutting etc. I usually get a call back a few months out to begin cutting again because neighbor cant do quality work. Last week I did an estimate on a property. The guy calls me back a few days later and told me estimate was great and to start cutting in February. I said OK. He calls me back today and said do not cut his lawn. He said His neighbor is going to do it. well all his neighbors are in their mid 70ies and 80ies. I had to laugh as I heard the message he left on the phone. I can guarantee I will be getting a call from him again come Summer. Have you guys come across this much? It is irritating to hear this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2014, 07:31 PM
mwalz's Avatar
mwalz mwalz is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 686
Can't say I have. They guy isn't having you do it probably because those guys are cheaper. When you mean quality of cut what exactly do you mean, and they could at least trim. It drives me crazy to see a yard that is not trimmed or edged properly. Maybe you could offer a discount for the first cut and see how he likes it.
__________________
My Equipment thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=425995
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2014, 07:34 PM
RussellB RussellB is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 2,809
Move on and of he calls back raise your price.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Busybee Lawns's Avatar
Busybee Lawns Busybee Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fayette &Green County
Posts: 82
Been there! Just to re-affirm business is just business. I try to keep a relationship with my customers and have become close to all, so to hear news like this can hurt, but don't take it to heart! Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM
DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dennis ma.
Posts: 1,344
All about saving $$$$$$.
Let's face it we as an industry are a luxury, not a necessity.
We think highly of ourselves and what we do as we should.
However I would venture to say the majority of our clients most likely do not.
Just a reality check.
Keep doing our best everyday. Be professional , be timely, courteous, and do the best you can each day .
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2014, 06:20 PM
clydebusa's Avatar
clydebusa clydebusa is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
Posts: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING View Post
All about saving $$$$$$.
Let's face it we as an industry are a luxury, not a necessity.
We think highly of ourselves and what we do as we should.
However I would venture to say the majority of our clients most likely do not.
Just a reality check.
Keep doing our best everyday. Be professional , be timely, courteous, and do the best you can each day .
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with you!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM
echo echo is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I have heard this many times throughout the years. Mostly current customers trying to save some $$$. They usually go with the neighbor to cut the grass and save some cash. But as you all know the neighbor is not a proffesional lawn care company. Meaning no edging and poor quality cutting etc. I usually get a call back a few months out to begin cutting again because neighbor cant do quality work. Last week I did an estimate on a property. The guy calls me back a few days later and told me estimate was great and to start cutting in February. I said OK. He calls me back today and said do not cut his lawn. He said His neighbor is going to do it. well all his neighbors are in their mid 70ies and 80ies. I had to laugh as I heard the message he left on the phone. I can guarantee I will be getting a call from him again come Summer. Have you guys come across this much? It is irritating to hear this.
Posted via Mobile Device
If his neighbors are in 70's or 80's, it sounds like he went with a different LCO. Move on or as suggested, if they call back, raise the price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 PM
ducnut ducnut is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: central IL
Posts: 1,241
Don't sweat it. If they do call you back, DO NOT raise your price. You're not going to "Teach them a lesson.", by doing that. Pick up service like normal, continue to do a great job, and keep yourself on that street. Eventually, you'll get a neighbor's yard, and another, and another. Being a jerk to people gets around.

I got a call from a lady, I know, who was having someone else, I also know, take care of her property. Her snowblower wouldn't start, for the other guy, and she needed her private road and drive cleared. No problem, as I have no animosity toward her for using someone else. I shot out there and cleared everything. In talking to her, I found the other guy hadn't been mowing her yard (he started complaining about her requests and no longer wanted to mow for her) and she had been having the neighbor do it. I, also, offered to take her snowblower home and go through it. I fully serviced it and got it running. When I took it back out to her, she said, "I'm thinking of having you take care my property.". The morals of this story? Don't be a jerk to anyone and neighbors don't always wreck another's opportunities. Keep your chin up and stay positive.
__________________
1st Class Lawn Service

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Diesel Dude's Avatar
Diesel Dude Diesel Dude is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Don't sweat it. If they do call you back, DO NOT raise your price. You're not going to "Teach them a lesson.", by doing that. Pick up service like normal, continue to do a great job, and keep yourself on that street. Eventually, you'll get a neighbor's yard, and another, and another. Being a jerk to people gets around.

I got a call from a lady, I know, who was having someone else, I also know, take care of her property. Her snowblower wouldn't start, for the other guy, and she needed her private road and drive cleared. No problem, as I have no animosity toward her for using someone else. I shot out there and cleared everything. In talking to her, I found the other guy hadn't been mowing her yard (he started complaining about her requests and no longer wanted to mow for her) and she had been having the neighbor do it. I, also, offered to take her snowblower home and go through it. I fully serviced it and got it running. When I took it back out to her, she said, "I'm thinking of having you take care my property.". The morals of this story? Don't be a jerk to anyone and neighbors don't always wreck another's opportunities. Keep your chin up and stay positive.
I agree with this guy. No sense in burning your bridges with potential clients.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-28-2014, 02:49 PM
echo echo is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Don't sweat it. If they do call you back, DO NOT raise your price. You're not going to "Teach them a lesson.", by doing that. Pick up service like normal, continue to do a great job, and keep yourself on that street. Eventually, you'll get a neighbor's yard, and another, and another. Being a jerk to people gets around.

I got a call from a lady, I know, who was having someone else, I also know, take care of her property. Her snowblower wouldn't start, for the other guy, and she needed her private road and drive cleared. No problem, as I have no animosity toward her for using someone else. I shot out there and cleared everything. In talking to her, I found the other guy hadn't been mowing her yard (he started complaining about her requests and no longer wanted to mow for her) and she had been having the neighbor do it. I, also, offered to take her snowblower home and go through it. I fully serviced it and got it running. When I took it back out to her, she said, "I'm thinking of having you take care my property.". The morals of this story? Don't be a jerk to anyone and neighbors don't always wreck another's opportunities. Keep your chin up and stay positive.
So the other guy doesn't want to mow for her anymore as he doesn't want to perform her requests. I'm betting her requests are being asked for free of charge.

You perform all these services and she says: "I'm thinking of having you take care my property". Thinking about it? I know those customers very well and wouldn't even consider that one. There are plenty of good customers out there to replace the squabblers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Page generated in 0.13830 seconds with 7 queries