Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2014, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

" my neighbor is now going to cut lawn"

I have heard this many times throughout the years. Mostly current customers trying to save some $$$. They usually go with the neighbor to cut the grass and save some cash. But as you all know the neighbor is not a proffesional lawn care company. Meaning no edging and poor quality cutting etc. I usually get a call back a few months out to begin cutting again because neighbor cant do quality work. Last week I did an estimate on a property. The guy calls me back a few days later and told me estimate was great and to start cutting in February. I said OK. He calls me back today and said do not cut his lawn. He said His neighbor is going to do it. well all his neighbors are in their mid 70ies and 80ies. I had to laugh as I heard the message he left on the phone. I can guarantee I will be getting a call from him again come Summer. Have you guys come across this much? It is irritating to hear this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't say I have. They guy isn't having you do it probably because those guys are cheaper. When you mean quality of cut what exactly do you mean, and they could at least trim. It drives me crazy to see a yard that is not trimmed or edged properly. Maybe you could offer a discount for the first cut and see how he likes it.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Move on and of he calls back raise your price.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Been there! Just to re-affirm business is just business. I try to keep a relationship with my customers and have become close to all, so to hear news like this can hurt, but don't take it to heart! Good luck!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All about saving $$$$$$.
Let's face it we as an industry are a luxury, not a necessity.
We think highly of ourselves and what we do as we should.
However I would venture to say the majority of our clients most likely do not.
Just a reality check.
Keep doing our best everyday. Be professional , be timely, courteous, and do the best you can each day .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2014, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING View Post
All about saving $$$$$$.
Let's face it we as an industry are a luxury, not a necessity.
We think highly of ourselves and what we do as we should.
However I would venture to say the majority of our clients most likely do not.
Just a reality check.
Keep doing our best everyday. Be professional , be timely, courteous, and do the best you can each day .
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with you!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I have heard this many times throughout the years. Mostly current customers trying to save some $$$. They usually go with the neighbor to cut the grass and save some cash. But as you all know the neighbor is not a proffesional lawn care company. Meaning no edging and poor quality cutting etc. I usually get a call back a few months out to begin cutting again because neighbor cant do quality work. Last week I did an estimate on a property. The guy calls me back a few days later and told me estimate was great and to start cutting in February. I said OK. He calls me back today and said do not cut his lawn. He said His neighbor is going to do it. well all his neighbors are in their mid 70ies and 80ies. I had to laugh as I heard the message he left on the phone. I can guarantee I will be getting a call from him again come Summer. Have you guys come across this much? It is irritating to hear this.
Posted via Mobile Device
If his neighbors are in 70's or 80's, it sounds like he went with a different LCO. Move on or as suggested, if they call back, raise the price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't sweat it. If they do call you back, DO NOT raise your price. You're not going to "Teach them a lesson.", by doing that. Pick up service like normal, continue to do a great job, and keep yourself on that street. Eventually, you'll get a neighbor's yard, and another, and another. Being a jerk to people gets around.

I got a call from a lady, I know, who was having someone else, I also know, take care of her property. Her snowblower wouldn't start, for the other guy, and she needed her private road and drive cleared. No problem, as I have no animosity toward her for using someone else. I shot out there and cleared everything. In talking to her, I found the other guy hadn't been mowing her yard (he started complaining about her requests and no longer wanted to mow for her) and she had been having the neighbor do it. I, also, offered to take her snowblower home and go through it. I fully serviced it and got it running. When I took it back out to her, she said, "I'm thinking of having you take care my property.". The morals of this story? Don't be a jerk to anyone and neighbors don't always wreck another's opportunities. Keep your chin up and stay positive.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-27-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Don't sweat it. If they do call you back, DO NOT raise your price. You're not going to "Teach them a lesson.", by doing that. Pick up service like normal, continue to do a great job, and keep yourself on that street. Eventually, you'll get a neighbor's yard, and another, and another. Being a jerk to people gets around.

I got a call from a lady, I know, who was having someone else, I also know, take care of her property. Her snowblower wouldn't start, for the other guy, and she needed her private road and drive cleared. No problem, as I have no animosity toward her for using someone else. I shot out there and cleared everything. In talking to her, I found the other guy hadn't been mowing her yard (he started complaining about her requests and no longer wanted to mow for her) and she had been having the neighbor do it. I, also, offered to take her snowblower home and go through it. I fully serviced it and got it running. When I took it back out to her, she said, "I'm thinking of having you take care my property.". The morals of this story? Don't be a jerk to anyone and neighbors don't always wreck another's opportunities. Keep your chin up and stay positive.
I agree with this guy. No sense in burning your bridges with potential clients.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

So the other guy doesn't want to mow for her anymore as he doesn't want to perform her requests. I'm betting her requests are being asked for free of charge.

You perform all these services and she says: "I'm thinking of having you take care my property". Thinking about it? I know those customers very well and wouldn't even consider that one. There are plenty of good customers out there to replace the squabblers.
Posted via Mobile Device