Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2014, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Feels like Christmas.....Again

I am so stoked. I just received a book in the mail that I have been trying to find for some time.

It is an original "signed" copy from Frank B. Nightingale- The father of modern landscape and garden lighting. It is in like new shape- amazing!

I am still looking for an original "garden lighting" copy, but I will have to keep looking.

I do need to mention that Mark Carlson of Avalon and Mike Gambino have written a book entitled "The new, original garden lighting book". Thanks to both of them for preserving such a great book from a man that was years ahead of his time. It truly would have been a shame to lose this work to history. I recommend every serious garden lighting designer get a copy of this book. It is certainly nothing you haven't seen or heard before, but you are hearing it from the innovator himself. Nightingales enthusiasm for "good" lighting design is truly inspirational and will drive you to be better and work harder in this wonderful craft we enjoy.
Attached Images

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Awesome find Tim.... Congratulations.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did you find it on Amazon, Ebay, etc? I briefly searched for that book a few years ago but gave up in frustration.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I found it on Abebooks.com They deal in a network of bookstores everywhere as well as hard to find and rare books. This one happened to be on the shelf of a bookstore in Pasadena, CA- The hometown of Mr. Nightingale himself.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I also wanted to pass along a book recommendation. I received my copy of "The original garden lighting book" and am about halfway through it. I just want to pass on a thank you to Mike Gambino and Mark Carlson for preserving this gem of Frank Nightingales before it was lost to history. His book "garden lighting" has been reprinted and is enclosed within the pages of this book. Mike and Mark have added some insightful comments and photographs at various points along the way in the book to keep it relevant to todays technology and standards. Even though this book was published in 1956, the book is remarkably still very relevant to todays serious lighting designers. Frank's passion for this wonderful art that he created jumps off the pages. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in lighting design or those who have been in the craft for awhile. Frank's literary style is very practical which makes this book easy to read and understand. It is not a bogged down, boring technical manual, it is in fact a primer for operating a lighting design business back in the 50's written in a very relevant way for today. Mike and Mark add their insights for modern day relevancy also. Pick this book up, it will put the passion back into your designs and challenge you to be better than you currently are.

This book now ranks #1 in my library of lighting reference books. Contact mike directly through his website to get a copy. It is available in soft cover or hardback. www.gambinolighting.com
Attached Images

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. That falls into the category of, "You know you're a giant lighting nerd when....."

That's pretty cool! Errr....ummm.....I mean....it would be, if I were that much of a lighting nerd.

I have a nice copy of the original Mechanix Illustrated from June 1941 - which has the original article of F.B. Nightingale and his "garden magic". Pretty much the first time anyone every wrote about an outdoor lighting business - the dawn of the industry. Cool article. I keep it here by my desk. But since I don't know anyone locally who is really that much of a lighting geek, it just sits here in the dust cover and nobody ever really sees it.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-20-2014, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would be happy to purchase that magazine from you Jim. You see, I am that much of a lighting nerd... and proud of it.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 02-20-2014, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll ditto those sentiments. Then there's Tommy Herron, that guy is a "lighting geek" also.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com