Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-06-2014, 11:09 AM
bcg bcg is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,782
How many gallons per 1,000 with your spray rig?

I'm trying to get things calibrated so I can get the most done in a day without having to refill my spray tank. When I initially calibrated things, I had it spraying 7.5 gallons per 1,000 sq/ft but as I work the numbers, that just won't do. So I'm now working on getting my nozzle and pressure settings so that I can treat 1,000 sq/ft with about 3 gallons.

I'm curious to know if that's in line with the rest of you, if its a little high or a little low.

At 3 gal/1,000, I can treat 68k with one tank, which comes to roughly 13 properties at an average of 5,000 sq/ft of turf. I think that should put me at about mid-day needing to refill, which works OK. But I'm new to this so I could be way wrong...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Mscotrid's Avatar
Mscotrid Mscotrid is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,431
Keep in mind your nozzle compliments your calibration. I usually set my gpm to where I want to be utilizing the regulator and calibrate without the nozzle. The nozzle comes into play after I have the flow rate established. With all that set you will have proper atomization of liquid without excessive recoil on the gun or over-spray.
__________________

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-06-2014, 09:26 PM
kbrashears's Avatar
kbrashears kbrashears is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Central Arkansas
Posts: 674
With my skids I try to get them to 1:1 ratio. New guys typically do good at 1.5-2 gal per k.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 PM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,332
The most important question is: are you adding fertilizer to your liquid mixture? If yes, you cannot get the solution highly concentrated, as it might burn the grass. Then 3 gals per thousand sqft is about right.

However, if you are not adding urea or other fertilizer--then you can spray a lot less water as carrier for your herbicide. Try to get down to a gallon per thousand sqft. Easy, reduce pressure to about 50; you may need to go with a different nozzle--perhaps a JD-9 spray gun. Or T-Jet.
http://www.teejet.com/media/7b90a63a...LoRes_p111.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-07-2014, 05:08 PM
LawnsharkMB LawnsharkMB is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
The most important question is: are you adding fertilizer to your liquid mixture? If yes, you cannot get the solution highly concentrated, as it might burn the grass. Then 3 gals per thousand sqft is about right.

However, if you are not adding urea or other fertilizer--then you can spray a lot less water as carrier for your herbicide. Try to get down to a gallon per thousand sqft. Easy, reduce pressure to about 50; you may need to go with a different nozzle--perhaps a JD-9 spray gun. Or T-Jet.
http://www.teejet.com/media/7b90a63a...LoRes_p111.pdf
If the lawn you are spraying is irrigated (every lawn I service is) isn't it ok to spray fertilizer at lower volumes as long as it's watered in immediately? I've always done granular but I have a sprayer this year and want to start spraying fert.

We spray fert at 60 GPA at the golf course. I don't see why you couldn't spray a lawn at the rate as long as it's watered in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-07-2014, 05:30 PM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,323
It would work. Question is are you going to schedule your applications around their irrigation schedule or are you expecting them to pay for extra watering so you don't have to spray at higher volumes. Are all irrigation controllers outside the house? If its in the garage and they aren't home what do you do? What if an area has a water restriction in place? Not saying it can't be done just playing devils advocate. Golf courses don't worry about the cost of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
If the lawn you are spraying is irrigated (every lawn I service is) isn't it ok to spray fertilizer at lower volumes as long as it's watered in immediately? I've always done granular but I have a sprayer this year and want to start spraying fert.

We spray fert at 60 GPA at the golf course. I don't see why you couldn't spray a lawn at the rate as long as it's watered in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by fl-landscapes; 02-07-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2014, 06:06 PM
ALATURF ALATURF is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central ALabama
Posts: 102
With our skids we treat at 2gal per k. Thats pre/post and urea and have never had an issue. We go higher volume when doing fungicides. With our z-sprays we are doing .5gal per k with pre and post emergents only and have great results.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 PM
LawnsharkMB LawnsharkMB is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
It would work. Question is are you going to schedule your applications around their irrigation schedule or are you expecting them to pay for extra watering so you don't have to spray at higher volumes. Are all irrigation controllers outside the house? If its in the garage and they aren't home what do you do? What if an area has a water restriction in place? Not saying it can't be done just playing devils advocate. Golf courses don't worry about the cost of water.
Yea I didn't really think about that. A lot of them are older and home all day but for the ones that are not it might be a problem.

Even if I sprayed at 2-3 gallons wouldn't it still need to be watered in though?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-07-2014, 10:13 PM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
Yea I didn't really think about that. A lot of them are older and home all day but for the ones that are not it might be a problem.

Even if I sprayed at 2-3 gallons wouldn't it still need to be watered in though?
Posted via Mobile Device
Lot of variables. No one correct answer. Depends on turf type, temperature, health of turf sprayed, and how many pounds of, and what you have in your mix including but not exclusively your N source. I spray at 3.5 fert and insecticides and follow up with 1 gallon per k herbicides. Im not claiming to have the correct answer but I can tell you for sure if you take a mix at 1.5 gallons per k and spray the same mix at 3 or more the later will have less chance of burning or striping and be more effective with most insecticides. labels give a range of rates and some actually specify minimum carrier to not need irrigating after. Don't take it to the bank but three gallons is usually that threshold. Again it depends how much material you shoehorn into it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 PM
bcg bcg is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,782
I am spraying urea, 1/2# per 1,000. I'm using this gun - https://www.gnci.org/mag-i-do-all-kit-assembly - with the yellow nozzle. I can try the blue and see if I can get it adjusted down and still get good coverage.

I think I'm going to play around with it some over the weekend and see how I can dial it in.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Page generated in 0.10730 seconds with 7 queries