Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-09-2014, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

What questions to ask?

I am putting a questionnaire together to get a better idea of each of my customers lawn mowing/maintenance needs.

What questions do you suggest I ask?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's most important to you in selecting a lawn care company
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
What's most important to you in selecting a lawn care company
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm looking more at what exactly they are looking for.

How often
Bagged or mulched
Total maintenence (maintaining shrubs, etc)

Do you all leave this up to the customer or mow once a week.

A little background.

I was in the process of starting a business in Missouri when we found out my wife's grandfather had terminal cancer. He had close to 50 accounts that he mainly mowed with the help of Grandma. We were asked to take over the business as he only had a short time left with us.

The cancer took him in 10 weeks, so he never had a chance to go out with me and fill me in on what each customer liked/disliked. Most of the accounts he had, he had been mowing for 8-15yrs.

The first season we had a drought. Major gouge into the pocketbook. Last year was better, but I attempted to work alone to try and recoup some of the $$$ we lost due to the drought.

Many of my accounts do not have sprinkler systems, so their lawns got fried and I mowed a lot of weeds and dust last summer.

I lost a few accounts last year as I was unable to keep up when we would get 5" of rain in a week.

I have regrouped. Bought some new equipment as the mowers he had were being babied to keep them going.

I am sending out a spring kick off letter to thank all of the clients for their continued support and want to add a questionnaire to find out exactly what they expect.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy
Old 02-09-2014, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Randy,

I would not send my customers a questionnaire. I do not want to fill out customer satisfaction surveys myself so I would not ask it of my customers.

If I were you, I would send the kick off letter and invite them to contact you with their questions and comments. I would also make the time to call many of them to discuss their needs. If they want< meet with them at their home and walk the property and discuss what they want. Take good notes and deliver.

Good luck and do keep us posted on your progress.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkintheGarden View Post
Hi Randy,

I would not send my customers a questionnaire. I do not want to fill out customer satisfaction surveys myself so I would not ask it of my customers.

If I were you, I would send the kick off letter and invite them to contact you with their questions and comments. I would also make the time to call many of them to discuss their needs. If they want< meet with them at their home and walk the property and discuss what they want. Take good notes and deliver.

Good luck and do keep us posted on your progress.
Thank you for your response. You are right. I hate filling out questionnaire's as well.

I think I will call them and ask to meet with them like you said and walk the yard.

Out of 50 accounts, there is still one yard that I do that after 2 years, I still have yet to meet the homeowners. Yikes. They are never home when I am there, but they always pay their bill.

Thanks again.

Randy
Old 02-09-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc View Post
Thank you for your response. You are right. I hate filling out questionnaire's as well.

I think I will call them and ask to meet with them like you said and walk the yard.

Out of 50 accounts, there is still one yard that I do that after 2 years, I still have yet to meet the homeowners. Yikes. They are never home when I am there, but they always pay their bill.

Thanks again.

Randy
Yeah, i have had many good customers who do not care to give me input about the service, or even know me.
Most respond well if you just assure them that you are always available to them.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

More and more, I contact my customers by e-mail. It is so non-intrusive and it is too easy to call people at a bad time. Make sure your customers all have your e-mail address.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Need to point out this is a business drought has no real effect on pocket book if they are weekly customer they get mowed need it or not. Thats how you make your living and they understand there is a price they have to pay to keep you in business so your there for them year after year.
Posted via Mobile Device