Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2014, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is everything I need in my truck so the Pesticide police don't haul me off to jail?

Not quite ready to go out and start the first rounds of applications yet, but I want to know if I forgot anything to pack in the trucks if I get stopped by DOT or Pesticide/Fert Police. Here's the list I came up with:

In truck in case of emergency:
1). 3 Safety Triangles
2). Commercial Grade Fire Extinguisher
3). Chemical Spill Response Kit
4). Kitty Litter
5). All Labels of Pesticides used on that particular day.
6). Certification cards and depending on state, copy of Pesticide Business
License (not sure about the business license)?

PPE: Follow the label.

If anybody has anymore to add just feel free to add and hijack!! I researched the safety section and not too much about PPE or requirements for pesticides. It always seems to deteriorate into a argument of GVW and weight limits and restrictions..
Old 02-18-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder the same thing. I only keep a first aid kit, extinguisher, and the spill kit.
I guess my permit is at home to be honest. It's a whole page and doesn't wanna be folded up into the wallet. Actually it's framed with the other permits and such, that kinda makes me feel like a 15 year old now I think about it. We framed the EIN and the dba too. I guess I wanted to hang something on the wall. My first invoice was paid by check so I had the bank give me some $1 bills and I took the top one and framed it. I also had the customer sign it. Jesus, I'm a nerd.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You may need a spill contingency plan. Not sure. I'm sure someone will chime in soon
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2014, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
You may need a spill contingency plan. Not sure. I'm sure someone will chime in soon
Posted via Mobile Device
Good to keep a blank "Spill Report" form on-board in case you have a spill. I believe that the "Reportable" quantity of a spill is a minimum of 5 gal.

A lot of the info discussed here varies from state to state. You need to contact you own state's Department of Agriculture to verify the correct information.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For vehicle code. You'll also need fuse(s) it's a good idea to have a hi-viz vest if you don't all ready.
And I'm not sure you need the actual biz license, just the number. Just my .02 cents
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2014, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

City of Davenport won't issue a license to any service business. All my work is billed to addresses within Davenport. Retail licenses only.
I learned other lessons from the idiots at the city hall like when they say you don't need something you go there and make them put it into writing and sign it. I'm thinking of construction permits. I won't even call the city these days. Much much better to go there in person.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First Aid Kit is a must. I forgot that one... My State of Md Card has me as a employee of my business the license number and certification number should be good.. I'm waiting on my fertilization business license number so I can put that number on the front fender of both sides of the truck.. Maryland is getting crazy with this stuff... I have the safety green shirts, both in long sleeve and short. From my understanding if you have the labels and the kit your good to go in md anyway..
Old 02-18-2014, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GREAT LIST!!!!

Things I have to add:

1) The company's name & phone number in minimum 3" block lettering on both sides of the vehicle.

2) Shipping papers (vehicle manifest) may be required for certain products regulated as hazardous under DOT Regulations. The regulatory section of a MSDS lists whether or not the pesticide product is a DOT regulated product.

3) Always carry a spill kit including a shovel & broom and "steel sac" garbage bag, and appropriate PPE.

4) Where practical, use a tarp as a bed-liner.

5) Ratchet-type strap-downs to secure load.

For more info. I advise checking out the "'Hazardous Materials Information Center'" at www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/info-center

And "Federal Motor Carrier Safety & Security" at
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-secu.../comhmregs.htm

Old 02-18-2014, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
GREAT LIST!!!!

Things I have to add:

1) The company's name & phone number in minimum 3" block lettering on both sides of the vehicle. Have that covered plus my website

2) Shipping papers (vehicle manifest) may be required for certain products regulated as hazardous under DOT Regulations. The regulatory section of a MSDS lists whether or not the pesticide product is a DOT regulated product.

I'm gonna have to call about this one.. Not sure if the inspector would like if I had it on my tablet or phone...

3) Always carry a spill kit including a shovel & broom and "steel sac" garbage bag, and appropriate PPE. Nitrile gloves are included in the kit, shovel and broom will have to be added plus the steel sac.

4) Where practical, use a tarp as a bed-liner. I have tarps for inclement weather

5) Ratchet-type strap-downs to secure load. Boat loads of them

For more info. I advise checking out the "'Hazardous Materials Information Center'" at www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/info-center

And "Federal Motor Carrier Safety & Security" at
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-secu.../comhmregs.htm

Thank you for the response!!! I'm running out of room here on the truck real fast. I think in the state of MD you have to have over a 1000 lbs of hazardous material before you have to placard it.. Thats my thinking anyway I could be wrong.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn signs are the law here too. 24 hours. I didn't mention that and I still hand write mine but they have to be done in IA.