Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 AM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,086
What would you like to see on lawnsite.com to make the site better.

I pose this question mainly because I often find many threads created that have Nothing to do with this industry. I actually posted a thread about a movie review
about a month ago and now realize that was not necessary for this forum.
I would really like all threads that have nothing to do with this industry to be placed in a stand alone category. Name the category, Current social events.
That way if members really want to read and reply to these threads under that listing they can knock them selfs out in the process. Otherwise I now find
threads unrelated to this industry a waste of my time. Other opinions welcome.
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 AM
Charles's Avatar
Charles Charles is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,105
Threads that have nothing to do with the Industry forums should be placed in the Off Topic section of Lawnsite

http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2014, 07:20 AM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,086
Charles, as a Mod. How can that be done so those members threads don't end up with topics specific and only related for this industry?
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Michael J. Donovan's Avatar
Michael J. Donovan Michael J. Donovan is online now
Moderator, Online Communities
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,557
well, the forums are labeled accordingly and we try as best we can to keep the threads in their appropriate forums for discussion...it would also help if members would browse the site for the correct forum to post in as well rather then placing it wherever they might think it will get more attention, views, posts in it, etc
__________________
Michael J. Donovan, Sr.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2014, 09:02 AM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Donovan View Post
well, the forums are labeled accordingly and we try as best we can to keep the threads in their appropriate forums for discussion...it would also help if members would browse the site for the correct forum to post in as well rather then placing it wherever they might think it will get more attention, views, posts in it, etc
Michael, is it possible to incorporate a filter of sorts so that all non related threads to this industry are forwarded to the appropriate forum?.
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2014, 09:12 AM
twomancrew twomancrew is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East, IA
Posts: 950
I think the forum is great for allowing polite conversations of all types. I get frustrated sometimes when the politics outnumbers the lawn threads, but heh I like to talk sometimes and is why I am here.

You started the thread with one specific purpose: to end all non-lawn threads or to have a discussion about it. That's cool. If I had my way there would be a like button on posts. Seen it elsewhere and it is a nice way to communicate without restating something already said. It seems to get more people involved in a conversation too. No need for a dislike button, that is uncalled for and I would take a beating.
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 AM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
I think the forum is great for allowing polite conversations of all types. I get frustrated sometimes when the politics outnumbers the lawn threads, but heh I like to talk sometimes and is why I am here.

You started the thread with one specific purpose: to end all non-lawn threads or to have a discussion about it. That's cool. If I had my way there would be a like button on posts. Seen it elsewhere and it is a nice way to communicate without restating something already said. It seems to get more people involved in a conversation too. No need for a dislike button, that is uncalled for and I would take a beating.
Actually I did not start this thread for the reason you have stated. I counted no less than 9 threads on the first Five pages of this forum that have nothing to do with this industry. I will not say that the members that have posted these threads are lazy per say, however I believe they just don't care enough to consider the purpose of specific forums on this web-site. I believe the technology does exist under key words that can steer specific topic material into the appropriate forum.
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 AM
twomancrew twomancrew is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East, IA
Posts: 950
Sometimes when I don't like the conversations being had someplace I leave and come back a day later. You know, let the crowd change. If I find that I don't fit in someplace I don't go there anymore. Mama taught me that. I have heard others say if I don't like a conversation I should change it. I'm not good at that, and on a forum it is called hijacking. So I am back to leaving the room and letting it air out a bit.
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM
Michael J. Donovan's Avatar
Michael J. Donovan Michael J. Donovan is online now
Moderator, Online Communities
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,557
as far as I know there is not a "filter" to do so but if there is we can look into doing so...also, it can be difficult to setup such a filter as there are some discussions that may appear to be "non-industry" related topics, but, in fact, are industry related and/or the topic can turn into a relevant industry discussion

again, the "easiest" and best way is when someone is starting a thread, to browse the site for the "best" and most appropriate forum for their topic of discussion. and, if there is no forum that it can/should be placed in then we have the off topic forum for those discussions
__________________
Michael J. Donovan, Sr.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Trees Too's Avatar
Trees Too Trees Too is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USDA Zone 6a
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Donovan View Post
as far as I know there is not a "filter" to do so but if there is we can look into doing so...also, it can be difficult to setup such a filter as there are some discussions that may appear to be "non-industry" related topics, but, in fact, are industry related and/or the topic can turn into a relevant industry discussion.

again, the "easiest" and best way is when someone is starting a thread, to browse the site for the "best" and most appropriate forum for their topic of discussion. and, if there is no forum that it can/should be placed in then we have the off topic forum for those discussions.
If there was a way that "key words" could be picked up. So that the thread would automatically be placed in the appropriate topic. To that end, if people would be more specific with their "subject title". Less likely for problems, as to "'what is this'"??? Also, when it is an inquiry about a specific problem, POST SOME PICS!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 PM.

Page generated in 0.10579 seconds with 7 queries