Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2014, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

RE: Scag V-Ride Hyro Pump Issues...Again

I purchased a 2012 V-Ride 61" mower used with only 99 hours on it from Maplewood down in Hiawatha KS. He had one pump replaced under warranty prior to me purchasing it.

When I got the machine home I noticed both pumps were leaking so I took it to my dealer. The fixed the leak but when I got the machine back the levers were sticky...meaning they would not go to neutral position with just the return springs. I called my dealer and told him about the issue but could not take it out of service due to work schedule until the end of the season.

Well I just got a call from my dealer Russo Power in Hainesville IL and they say the pumps need to be replaced at a cost of $1,100. They said due to the fact I am the second owner they can't get it covered under warranty. I told him that the warranty should not be the issue. The issue is that Scag had a known issue with leaking o-rings that caused the pumps to leak. This is what led to the premature pump failure on both sides thus the sticky hydros. They should take responsibility and replace the pumps for N/C.

I feel I'm getting screwed both by my dealer and Scag as the hydros were not sticky until after I got the machine back from them fixing the o-ring issues. I am not so sure that my dealer didn't cause the problem by not properly servicing the hydro pumps when they replaced the o-rings. Now they won't even go to bat for me and call the factory to see what they can do.

I can't find a phone number for anyone at Scag to talk to so I left a message through their website.

This really sucks because I own 3 new or newer Scag Mowers and now I am feeling like they are not a very honorable company to do business with.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

99 hours they should fix it regardless of number of owners. That's a botched repair to begin with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
99 hours they should fix it regardless of number of owners. That's a botched repair to begin with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed!...

I love Scag equipment as I feel that they make great products however they should allow their warranty to transfer to the second owner just like car manufacturers.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had the leaking problem and still have it.they tried twice to stop leak and got one fixed. If you get look at the connection device it is simply a turkey shoot chace to fix em. I don't think a leak at those connection cause the pumps to go out. I got old units leaking all the time. Now if the leak is at rotating shaft different.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey snow4me that's sucks I would go to dealer and raise hell
Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hope this helps..

http://mweco.com/our-territory.html
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I should add, they are a distributor & not the Scag company themselves, but you might be able to find out more info through them.. I really doubt anything would get replaced as Scags warranty is not transferable but hope it does get taken care of for you...
Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

The message I left with Scag through their website resulted in a favorable result. Just got off the phone with Scag and they made an exception to the warranty issue and are going to cover the cost of the pumps $900. I only have to pay for the labor $200.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4me View Post
I purchased a 2012 V-Ride 61" mower used with only 99 hours on it from Maplewood down in Hiawatha KS. He had one pump replaced under warranty prior to me purchasing it.

When I got the machine home I noticed both pumps were leaking so I took it to my dealer. The fixed the leak but when I got the machine back the levers were sticky...meaning they would not go to neutral position with just the return springs. I called my dealer and told him about the issue but could not take it out of service due to work schedule until the end of the season.

Well I just got a call from my dealer Russo Power in Hainesville IL and they say the pumps need to be replaced at a cost of $1,100. They said due to the fact I am the second owner they can't get it covered under warranty. I told him that the warranty should not be the issue. The issue is that Scag had a known issue with leaking o-rings that caused the pumps to leak. This is what led to the premature pump failure on both sides thus the sticky hydros. They should take responsibility and replace the pumps for N/C.

I feel I'm getting screwed both by my dealer and Scag as the hydros were not sticky until after I got the machine back from them fixing the o-ring issues. I am not so sure that my dealer didn't cause the problem by not properly servicing the hydro pumps when they replaced the o-rings. Now they won't even go to bat for me and call the factory to see what they can do.

I can't find a phone number for anyone at Scag to talk to so I left a message through their website.

This really sucks because I own 3 new or newer Scag Mowers and now I am feeling like they are not a very honorable company to do business with.
Were the leaking pump(s) covered under warranty the first time you took the unit in for repair right after you purchased it or did you pay for the repair?

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!