Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Going on my own

I decided to pull the trigger and start my own company. I'm funding it, so I'm starting small, as needed equipment. Basics I have except back pack blower, hedge trimmer, extended hedge trimmer, and rear tine roto tiller. Oh yeah, and a truck. That's another story. Need blower and hedge trimmer. I've never bought new, nor used new. There's a limited number of equipment companies around, so the prices are high. One dealer is Stihl, Exmark, John Deere, Cub, and the other is Echo, Husq, Shindiawa, Toro. I've done a ton of homework, and one thing I've discovered is some used equipment is solid, others aren't worth the asking price. Also, my clientele and potential clientele feel appearance has a direct representation on themselves. So I'm leaning towards new, solid, yet reliable. Thanks for your time.

Jim
Visions Of Paradise
Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I just started my business on march 22, 2014. Eh I bought almost all my hand tools new. There all stihl. Blower, trimmer, hedge trimmer, chainsaws etc. My mower I.bought a nice used john deere gt.275. Am in the process of buying a truck, and have recently bought a trailer and fixed it up with lights, paint, and deck.boards. whats your.budget?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

If I just started my first year just doing lawns I would starve. I worked on cars until I had enough business.

What I don't get is how some guys can get 50 new lawns in one year. Around here if you get a extra 15 lawns your doing great. If I pick up 5 more lawns this year I'm happy.

Maybe its the one town I work in there are way too many landscaping companies.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie James View Post
If I just started my first year just doing lawns I would starve. I worked on cars until I had enough business.

What I don't get is how some guys can get 50 new lawns in one year. Around here if you get a extra 15 lawns your doing great. If I pick up 5 more lawns this year I'm happy.

Maybe its the one town I work in there are way too many landscaping companies.
I am with ya on this.
I worked for a body shop and put my notice in last year, they didn't want me to leave so we agreed on me working half days.With that being said they knew without me telling them I would be leaving for good and going on my own.
I couldn't ask to work for better people.
Back to it, I agree, no way would I go on my own with only a handful of clients. How would I pay my expenses right?!
Good luck to everyone this year and stay safe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2014, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

On Sunday night me and around 5 other landscapers in town get together and talk. Last year nobody picked up 50 new lawns in fact nobody picked up 20 new lawns. Average here is 10 and then you in loosing a few.

I'm keeping my clients in the land of landscapers by the hundreds and I'm going to go and get a few new ones in the next town and pick up fresh blood.

Can someone tell me how to get 50 new clients this spring and If it works I will mail you a get out of jail free card.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie James View Post
On Sunday night me and around 5 other landscapers in town get together and talk. Last year nobody picked up 50 new lawns in fact nobody picked up 20 new lawns. Average here is 10 and then you in loosing a few.

I'm keeping my clients in the land of landscapers by the hundreds and I'm going to go and get a few new ones in the next town and pick up fresh blood.

Can someone tell me how to get 50 new clients this spring and If it works I will mail you a get out of jail free card.
it' simple… charge $17.50 per acre and spring cleans ups for free! you'll have tons of new business!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
it' simple… charge $17.50 per acre and spring cleans ups for free! you'll have tons of new business!
LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
HAHAHA. This is the best advice i have heard on here. Great to see people are finally sharing their secrets.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I'd be happy with 10!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

My budget is shoe string. 10k. Company is legal, insured, website, accounting, lawyer, etc. is paid. Now need a couple pieces of equipment. I'm avoiding being on a mower all day. So far, so good on landscape renovations and clean ups. I don't even have a lawn to mow actually.

Tags
blower , hedge , start up business , trimmer