Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2014, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Opinion for Best ZTR for Hills

I had a Scag Tiger Cub. It was a great mower but not too great for hills. What's the opinion for the best ZTR for hills in southern, middle TN?
All comments are appreciated.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dixie Chopper
Old 04-12-2014, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have not tried every ztr on the market, nobody has. That being said I like the scag turf tiger. It's big, it's wide, heavy with a low center of gravity.
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 04-12-2014, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My 72 Hustler XR7 is by far the best one I have had, a 72 being so wide will slide and not flip. The older Super was 200 pounds lighter and lower than the newer model but not made as well.

But for steep Grades the new Hustler HD has by far the most heavy duty drive train for steep inclines.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I cut a couple of lawns, including my own, that are pretty steep and my mower slid several times. I was mainly wanting to know which mowers, based on owner experience, seem to stick to the hills best. I know the scag turf tiger has a low center of gravity and the gas tank position helps. Just wanted more opinions since my scag dealer is almost two hours away now.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileylawnservice View Post
Well I have not tried every ztr on the market, nobody has. That being said I like the scag turf tiger. It's big, it's wide, heavy with a low center of gravity.
no body has tried every ZTR on the market?

are you sure?

there are people who are paid to do these comparisons, manufactures buy each others mowers for this purpose… I used to have this privilege, there might be a machine or two out there now that I haven't been on… but there are other people still doing this testing. And Ive still been on pretty much anything mentionable at one time or another for one reason or another… excluding new entries like time cutters and other home owner garbage.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A TT is good on hills but weight is your enemy, the new Hustler drive setup with high torque motors on Paper is tough to beat for something that will do it with little effort and not strain the drive.

As stated the new Super is 200 pounds or so heavier than the old model and that is not good. A well setup newer stander should be the ticket with big wheels, the old units with small tires got stuck easy and slide. The JD stander was a joke for hills the one that was a redesigned GD.

The old Great Dane with big wheels would be interesting, A Dixie Chopper does not have the front wheels spaced out so it could topple, on my Super Z 72 it has the front casters set up so they are as far out as the rear tires for stability.

This mower in High torque model with a BB motor would handle about anything I know of as far as mowers go. With ribbed tractor tires it can cut stuff you need kletts to walk and use a low WB.

As stated it will kill all the grass and you will have fun doing it! A properly set up 72 will hunt a hill.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
A TT is good on hills but weight is your enemy, the new Hustler drive setup with high torque motors on Paper is tough to beat for something that will do it with little effort and not strain the drive.

As stated the new Super is 200 pounds or so heavier than the old model and that is not good. A well setup newer stander should be the ticket with big wheels, the old units with small tires got stuck easy and slide. The JD stander was a joke for hills the one that was a redesigned GD.

The old Great Dane with big wheels would be interesting, A Dixie Chopper does not have the front wheels spaced out so it could topple, on my Super Z 72 it has the front casters set up so they are as far out as the rear tires for stability.

This mower in High torque model with a BB motor would handle about anything I know of as far as mowers go. With ribbed tractor tires it can cut stuff you need kletts to walk and use a low WB.

As stated it will kill all the grass and you will have fun doing it! A properly set up 72 will hunt a hill.
What does the front wheels have do with it flipping
Dixie Chopper rear end is wider then any other ZTR out there

You say your Super Z 72 is the best
If it was the best it wouldn't slide and rip the grass So that tells me its not the best ZTR for the hill

Now I think mine is the best with me riding it and running my tires. I can mow any way you want it with out sliding.

Tall Sidewall tires are the best tire to mow hills sideways
My tires are 9'' rims on a hill the tire will flex to give extra traction

Super Z tires have hardly no sidewalls so there very little flex Your tires are on 12'' rims
Your rear end is 60'' wide on your 72'' front is 57''
My 72'' DC rear is 69'' wide Front I'll have to check tomorrow site doesn't show that but I do know rear tires drive in the same track of the front tires

Be up front with you I rather run my 60'' over my 72'' on hills I feel I have more CONTROL on a 60'' My 2001 26 EFI 60'' is the best and when I talking hill I'm talking 2-1 and 3-1 slopes
Old 04-14-2014, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
What does the front wheels have do with it flipping
Dixie Chopper rear end is wider then any other ZTR out there

You say your Super Z 72 is the best
If it was the best it wouldn't slide and rip the grass So that tells me its not the best ZTR for the hill

Now I think mine is the best with me riding it and running my tires. I can mow any way you want it with out sliding.

Tall Sidewall tires are the best tire to mow hills sideways
My tires are 9'' rims on a hill the tire will flex to give extra traction

Super Z tires have hardly no sidewalls so there very little flex Your tires are on 12'' rims
Your rear end is 60'' wide on your 72'' front is 57''
My 72'' DC rear is 69'' wide Front I'll have to check tomorrow site doesn't show that but I do know rear tires drive in the same track of the front tires

Be up front with you I rather run my 60'' over my 72'' on hills I feel I have more CONTROL on a 60'' My 2001 26 EFI 60'' is the best and when I talking hill I'm talking 2-1 and 3-1 slopes
The front needs to be spaced out even with the rear. DIXIES ARE GOOFY, their good mowers but come on if you cannot visually see on steep hills how having the front end spaced in narrower than the rear could create a problem in stability I guess that is why you buy Dixie in the first place.

The people where I do this job have a nice Dixie for a Dixie in the shed and use it for a back up, they bought a Super after they saw how my old style super would shread hills but they bought a 60 and a 72 is more stable.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post

, A Dixie Chopper does not have the front wheels spaced out so it could topple, on my Super Z 72 it has the front casters set up so they are as far out as the rear tires for stability.

Hey guess what you are wrong about Dixie Chopper front end I put a tape on mine and its 63'' wide VS your hustler is 57'' And my Rear end is 70'' and yours is 60'' So yours would roll easier then mine

By the way on the tires My max air pressure is 7lbs

Whats the max air pressure on yours rear tires and what pressure do you run?