Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 AM
RyanA97 RyanA97 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 183
Is this dishonest?

So I underestimated a mulch/yard cleanup job for this lady. I quoted her at $450 for 45 bags of mulch and the yard cleanup which involved bed prep and trimming about 30 feet of pampas grass. I already have 8 hrs in for the cleanup and still have to put down the mulch with a helper. Upon my many trips to the local dump, I noticed the mulch available for free to residents is nice quality double shredded. They make it at the dump. I've decided to save my self about $300 in bagged mulch and go with the free bulk stuff from the recycle center.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-14-2014, 09:03 AM
danieljoohn18 danieljoohn18 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 24
Why don't you buy the mulch by the yard. would help recoup some of the costs
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-14-2014, 09:05 AM
RyanA97 RyanA97 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljoohn18 View Post
Why don't you buy the mulch by the yard. would help recoup some of the costs
I'm getting free mulch this way that is pretty good quality so know I will profit more
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA97 View Post
I'm getting free mulch this way that is pretty good quality so know I will profit more
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL Free mulch is a mix of all trees and you will get Free termites to what a deal to the customer
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 PM
M&L M&L is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Valley
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
LOL Free mulch is a mix of all trees and you will get Free termites to what a deal to the customer


Aint that the truth. There is a place around here that has free mulch. The wood part looks nice, but Its like a 60/40 blend of hiway mulch with McDonalds cups and cigarette butts.

Really, instead of trying to save this project, I'd recomend learning from it. Time different areas even. Set a good per yard price for mulch and deco barks, then learn how long it takes to clear flowerbeds depending on how bad they are. Bid the next job and make money.

IMO, The bags suck for any kind of volume
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&L View Post


Aint that the truth. There is a place around here that has free mulch. The wood part looks nice, but Its like a 60/40 blend of hiway mulch with McDonalds cups and cigarette butts.

Really, instead of trying to save this project, I'd recomend learning from it. Time different areas even. Set a good per yard price for mulch and deco barks, then learn how long it takes to clear flowerbeds depending on how bad they are. Bid the next job and make money.

IMO, The bags suck for any kind of volume
Posted via Mobile Device
A company here learned the hard way about Free mulch from the dump. He was sued by his customer for bringing in termites. I had go remove it 2 days after he installed it and it was full termites I set it on fire. The pest guy sprayed all the beds then I installed rock and installed termite traps
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA97 View Post
So I underestimated a mulch/yard cleanup job for this lady. I quoted her at $450 for 45 bags of mulch and the yard cleanup which involved bed prep and trimming about 30 feet of pampas grass. I already have 8 hrs in for the cleanup and still have to put down the mulch with a helper. Upon my many trips to the local dump, I noticed the mulch available for free to residents is nice quality double shredded. They make it at the dump. I've decided to save my self about $300 in bagged mulch and go with the free bulk stuff from the recycle center.
Posted via Mobile Device
No worth the headaches. Their mulch is made with anything they bring to the landfill. Can be pallets tire etc

45 bags of mulch is only 5 yards at the most. You should be able to buy it for $25 a yard
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Tropical Gardens Tropical Gardens is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sarasota Florida
Posts: 33
12) 2 cu. bags= 1 yard (per my suppliers)
45 bags is 3.75 yards at a cost of a little over 125
Do the job with no helper..take the loss and make it up on the next one. If they are happy with the completed job, push for referrals from them. Offer 25 dollar restaurant gift card for each referral that gets work done over 500 dollars.
Never half ass a job when you made the mistake and believe me, the recycle facilities mulch would be half assing the job
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 AM
AMW Landscaping's Avatar
AMW Landscaping AMW Landscaping is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 550
Seems like you under quoted the clean up. If that can save you the money and help you make a little more than do that. It is gonna be crappy mulch tho.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Mxrider52 Mxrider52 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA97 View Post
So I underestimated a mulch/yard cleanup job for this lady. I quoted her at $450 for 45 bags of mulch and the yard cleanup which involved bed prep and trimming about 30 feet of pampas grass. I already have 8 hrs in for the cleanup and still have to put down the mulch with a helper. Upon my many trips to the local dump, I noticed the mulch available for free to residents is nice quality double shredded. They make it at the dump. I've decided to save my self about $300 in bagged mulch and go with the free bulk stuff from the recycle center.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep just now seen this thread and sure enough I had just responded to your other thread you had originally started about this project. I pretty much could tell by the way you worded the original thread that you were going in way underpriced. But I guess you have to learn somewhere. You just have to eat it now. You cannot half ass a job because it is going to cost you money. The only money you will have in it is the cost of mulch plus your fuel to drive. I dont know if your local dump lets you dump for free or not. You should still come out about even on this job if you priced the right amount of mulch. You will just be working for free. If you try to half ass it now it will bite you. You dont want it to be known as the guy who cheaped out on the project. It will cost you your reputation and from sounds of it you are just starting out in this. You can only build your business by good work. We all have at some point underbid a project. It is a learning lesson for everyone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Page generated in 0.10609 seconds with 7 queries