Register free!

Old 04-19-2014, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Triple Crown from FMC

has anyone looked at this?

http://www.fmcprosolutions.com/LawnC...secticide.aspx
Old 04-22-2014, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

The active ingredients are fine. The limiting factor may be cost with these manufacturer combo products.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
The active ingredients are fine. The limiting factor may be cost with these manufacturer combo products.
Yes for some reason Chem Mfg always charge a lot more for Combination Products. In some cases I have been successful mixing the same blend from individual products.

I looked at Triple Crown and decided it was both a Over Kill and Under Kill for me. Each area has it's special problems. I am lucky because we don't have Resistant Chinch bugs. But I am unlucky because we have Sugar Cane Grubs that are resistant to imidacloprid. Therefore a Under Kill.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No use to me. The Cypermethrin and Bifenthrin parts will not last long enough to control what the Imidacloprid component does not. This is one of the few Cypermethrin products labeled for general application to turf. Most are structural and termite only.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-24-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with ric and greendoc I looked at this and when I seen imidacloprid in it I passed bc arena has worked great for me on both sugar cane grubs and chinch bugs and also fire ants.. the only benefit I would get out of that like ric says is bifen..
Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just found out that Bayer stopped Allectus. Good move on their part. Right from the start, I remember telling my Bayer Technical Services rep what a bad idea that was. I do not like having pre mixed insecticides. Just makes it easier for the pests to become resistant to both.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Just found out that Bayer stopped Allectus. Good move on their part. Right from the start, I remember telling my Bayer Technical Services rep what a bad idea that was. I do not like having pre mixed insecticides. Just makes it easier for the pests to become resistant to both.
No biggie IMHO. The fact both Talstar and Merit are off patent, might contribute to Bayer taking in off the Market. In general I am not a fan of Combo products of any kind. I feel it is my job as a Certified Pesticide Applicator to be able to Diagnose a pest problem/pressure and select the correct control/preventive method. Combo Products are for those who can't Diagnose problems and take the Shot Gun approach to try and treat the problem.

I took a webinar on Aquatic this Wednesday put on by a Chem company. Typical of these type of webinar/seminar, it was only a sale pitch to buy more expensive chemicals. When ask about Grass Eating Carp, the moderator/salesman tried his best to discourage there use and sell a $ 700.00 a gallon product instead. It has been my experience that Biological control of enclosed Ponds or Lakes is very successful and extremely low cost.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 04-26-2014, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I thought the combination did not make sense on turf. Imidacloprid should be watered in ASAFP and not allowed to sit on top. Whereas bifenthrin needs to stick to the top. I do have reason to apply a tank mix of Dylox and Merit to turf. Dylox cannot be beaten for fast kill on chinch bug, grubs, and sod webworm. Too bad it does not stay around for more than a few days. Merit watered in works for me. Good thing I do not have sugarcane grubs.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I thought the combination did not make sense on turf. Imidacloprid should be watered in ASAFP and not allowed to sit on top. Whereas bifenthrin needs to stick to the top. I do have reason to apply a tank mix of Dylox and Merit to turf. Dylox cannot be beaten for fast kill on chinch bug, grubs, and sod webworm. Too bad it does not stay around for more than a few days. Merit watered in works for me. Good thing I do not have sugarcane grubs.
My area of Florida seems plagued with Sugar Cane Grubs more so than other areas. We had a Grub Problem before we had Sugar Cane Grubs. I want to believe our soil's environment is the big factor as to why we have so many Grubs. We have many Man made canals and Lakes made from what was FLORIDA SWAP LAND. BTW I see the same trend in other communities that were developed by drenching canals out of Swamp Land.

Dylox is one of the few remaining Organophosphates left and on the Tree Hugger Hit List. You can't beat a Organophosphate for quick knock down. But Dylox has it's draw backs. My Calcareous sandy soil has a pH of 9 untreated. The subsoil has even higher pH. Dylox breaks down fairly quick on Acidic soils and almost instantly on Alkaline soils. Dylox also has a very poor shelve life. I wouldn't trust any Dylox over 6 months old.

Talking with a Tech for one of the big boys this past week. He tells me they rotate Arena and Dylox year to Year. He also said they had Grubs popping up every where and were charging the Customer. I find it is a lot more cost effective to apply Arena twice a year. Sod replacement is too expensive to gamble with IMHO.

While I am on my Soap Box:: I believe the Chemical Company are holding back new improved pesticides waiting for older chemicals to go off patent. I also believe they design these newer pesticides to have resistances developed right when they go off patent.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ric. No Dylox 6.2 G for me. I spray mine in high volumes of water and that water is pH adjusted. I am missing all of the old insecticides. Back in the day, Hawaii had a problem with sod webworm. Now not so much because most fine turf is zoysia. I need to ask Carol Browner, the EPA administrator that took most of the OP and carbamate insecticides down in 2000 why I am still alive. No, I do not have Dursban Twitch. In another time, it was Dursban, diazinon, Orthene, Sevin, and Turcam. Structural PCOs would know Turcam as Ficam W.

I remember when there was AG labeled Dylox. That's right. Many beneficial insects are not affected by Dylox. Neither are bees. However, caterpillars and plant bugs are very sensitive to Dylox. You could spray a soybean or alfalfa field with Dylox, kill the worms eating the crop, and the bees would not die.