Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2014, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

When to start getting nervous

Hey Guys
I was wondering when i should start getting worried about lack of business? I started out this spring formed an LLC got insurance, all permits, a used ztr, truck lettered, uniform, marketing materials etc. I have put out 2500 fliers, got a website, advertised on FB and put an add in the local papers.
I have done 3 clean ups so i have my insurance covered. But... I have only managed to get one account locked down for the season. I think weather may be a factor because we have only had 2 days that have been 70 so far. I have called around and my prices are right on the mark for the area.

Any ideas?????
Stihl Multi
Husq Blower
Falcon 16x6 tndm
Craftsman 22 pusher
Craftsman 26hp tractor
IH 350 w/ Loader
Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I've heard of using a referral system working for alot of guys, "get me another yard, get 2 months free", etc.

How good do you look? Not hitting on you, but its hard to get accounts looking like a caveman.

It could be the weather, I'm no wisconsin expert, (been to kenosha a couple of times), but maybe people arent really concerned about their yards right now.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I wear jeans and a tshirt with a matching sweatshirt. I'm clean shaven and have my hair buzzed. I work as a ff/medic for my full time job so I keep myself presentable
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It takes a while to build a business. You can't just buy a truck and mower and expect to have your phone ringing off the hook. Just do a good job and keep your customers happy. Word of mouth is a great way to advertise. You could also go door to door advertising to build up a few accounts
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHL GUY View Post
It takes a while to build a business. You can't just buy a truck and mower and expect to have your phone ringing off the hook. Just do a good job and keep your customers happy. Word of mouth is a great way to advertise. You could also go door to door advertising to build up a few accounts
Posted via Mobile Device
Pretty much right on. Took me a few years. Some years are slower than others too.

A few new start ups around here are very slow as well. One company quit from last year. Another one started this year. Spent at least 15k on advertising if not more. Saw one of the partners at home at 430 yesterday when I pulled up to a customers home. They mow for 20. I mow for a lot more. I worked til dark the last 2 days. But I've been doing this since 07
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well if your part time don't sweat it too much, that's how I started out, I think I wound up with 5 accounts that I still have 7 years later.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't worry unless you've just taken out a ton of money to purchase everything and you're full time job isn't covering the bills...

It's hard to jump right in trying to present yourself as "one of the big boys" without having some financial backing of some sort. I would go with the referral route. Let your work speak for itself, hopefully in a good way.

What kind of area are you in population wise?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I wouldn't worry unless you've just taken out a ton of money to purchase everything and you're full time job isn't covering the bills...

It's hard to jump right in trying to present yourself as "one of the big boys" without having some financial backing of some sort. I would go with the referral route. Let your work speak for itself, hopefully in a good way.

What kind of area are you in population wise?
I have about 20k homes in the area I'm in spread over 5-6 city's and 3 county's
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I took out a loan to buy a mower however it was only 2500 so I can pay that back at anytime. I had pretty much everything else
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The lawns are just now starting to get good and green around here... we are about 2 weeks behind normal. It's been a brutal winter. Does anyone you work with have any family or friends that need services?