Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

First Department of Ag Inspection

Had my first Department of Ag agent approach and inspect me today. I was surprised to see him as I have always been told their is only 18 or 19 of them in the state, figure they did not have time to mess with lawn guys.
He informed me that there was now over 68 of them doing inspections because of some other division being absorbed by the ag division that does inspectors or something to that nature. He also informed me that he went into this gated guarded community today only to check lawn guys and that he had only found myself and one other that were legal.

I got a written warning for not having the name of license holder ( I have a card through a PCO) on my truck and trailer. I would of have had that but I was using one of my lettered trucks that is a backup/estimate/sales truck that does not contain the 1.5 block name of the PCO because the fuel pump went out on the regular truck for that route, otherwise I would of been golden.

But with them checking lawn guys and them now having over 68 agents in the field - I have a feeling they are going to collect some major revenues.

For you guys that do applications including just round up. I got checked for

1. ID card
2. Lettering on Truck and Trailer (only needed because I am actually under PCO license)
3. Spill Kit in the truck
4. Chemicals properly stored - Round up is not able to just be stored in the bed of your truck FYI for those of you that do not know.
5. That I had application signs (in my case I had signs for the company who's license I can apply under)

The two agents (one in training) were nice and helpful. I informed them that I appreciated them taking the time to inspect lawn guys, especially after them telling me that they had came into that community (heathrow) with the intention of only check lawn mowing operations and apparently only found myself and one other guy that actually were properly licensed to apply Round Up etc. Good to know that having the license /id card and doing the right thing has paid off. That was my first time I actually ever seen a inspector let alone was inspected by one.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For the limited main. and fert. certs. do you need a business address and zoning to be submitted to apply? Or is it just insurance proof? I had the limited Main. now it's been awhile and an old helper was asking me about it.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
For the limited main. and fert. certs. do you need a business address and zoning to be submitted to apply? Or is it just insurance proof? I had the limited Main. now it's been awhile and an old helper was asking me about it.
Fert = BMP and the license/application not just the class

Limited = sit in class , pass test, show proof of insurance to a min. required by the state at least...keep up your CEU's and pay annually

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see my inspector everyday. He lives in a subdivision that I do maintenance is 3-4 days a week. He informed me that they have hired 50 new inspectors and were mostly checking to see if people who apply fert had their LF cards. Of course any other violations they find will be documented.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I was inspected last year. Also by a field agent and a trainee. As they walked up they flipped their badge showing they were with dept. of ag. I told them I would get my pesticide license and they said they had already pulled up everything on the computer. Of the 8 inspected so far, I was the only one with a license to spray. I was thinking I would never be stopped, but glad I had proper license to avoid fines.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Coming from the communist state of Massachusetts I hate to admit this state is far more difficult to conduct a legal business operation in. Should be even more fun with 50 new revenue agents running around. Plan on at least enough fines to cover their salaries.

Mike you were in your company truck spraying or with spray equipment and chemicals under the cert. of another company? Sounds like you got lucky to me.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Coming from the communist state of Massachusetts I hate to admit this state is far more difficult to conduct a legal business operation in. Should be even more fun with 50 new revenue agents running around. Plan on at least enough fines to cover their salaries.

Mike you were in your company truck spraying or with spray equipment and chemicals under the cert. of another company? Sounds like you got lucky to me.
If it's like IA the co. is the handler and he has the permit to apply for that company. My permit has mu business name on it. As a owner/op I have to hold both license and permit to sell apps of any sort. Permit is good for 3 and handler's is good for a year. Both are $25 a year each. I was told to expect a call and home visit sometime my first 2 years because of the handler's. She said I will get a letter first I filed my handler's under exempt because I keep most my product at the dealer or at my dad's farm. Secondary containment whaaat?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
If it's like IA the co. is the handler and he has the permit to apply for that company. My permit has mu business name on it. As a owner/op I have to hold both license and permit to sell apps of any sort. Permit is good for 3 and handler's is good for a year. Both are $25 a year each. I was told to expect a call and home visit sometime my first 2 years because of the handler's. She said I will get a letter first I filed my handler's under exempt because I keep most my product at the dealer or at my dad's farm. Secondary containment whaaat?
Simple answer is its not like Iowa. To be out in your own company truck with no indication of the company you have a card for on that truck while conducting pest control business is a clear no no. I'm not being the rule nazi here I'm just saying mike and the company that holds the card got off lightly there.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have to put a copy of the license in the window of the truck or have # somewhere it can be seen. FL is pretty strict from what I hear on LS. In IA the most IDALS will do is give you a slap and try to educate you. Compliance is the mission. Don't get me wrong a complaint here will get you a visit with an interview and soil samples are taken and all that- in the end they will simply warn you and tell you how to do better next time. Remember we don't have ground water anymore in IA- we have a nitrate/atrazine slurry that we drink
Old 05-14-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
I was not spraying anything...and I am a card holder under another company that services roughly 65 accounts for my company as a sub. The owner is taking me under his wings and mentoring me and I am legally putting in my time to obtain the rite to seat for the license.

Neither of us had thought about the inspector actually checking a lawn maintenance rig...but yes I have to have the other companies name in at least 1.5 inch blocks on my trucks and trailers ...that is in the works now in the form of wraps as they have to be permenant and not a magnetic sign etc.

It could of gone worse....but the inspector was understanding especially considering I did have my spill kit, id card on a lanyard etc even though I had to switch from my normal vehicle because of a fuel pump. He was understanding and that helped. I am sure me actually being happy and stating that I was happy to see them stopping lawn guys made me happy did not hurt either.

I was glad to finally meet them and see that they are actually stopping lawn rigs after years of paying and obtaining and maintaining a limited without ever seeing a agent in the field. Makes it all worth it knowing some lawn guys who choose not to go the legal route got fined yesterday!