Register free!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

question about the armanda pro 800

looking on buying a valve locator and I was wondering if you can detect live electrical wires, like 120 volts?

I believe the p521 can detect live wire

thx
Mit
Old 06-01-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitjin View Post
looking on buying a valve locator and I was wondering if you can detect live electrical wires, like 120 volts?

I believe the p521 can detect live wire

thx
Mit
You can use the receiver of the progressive 521(stubby) to passively detect live power lines but you are detecting and not pinpoint locating. Direct connection is the only real means of identifying a target you're tracing.

The pro800 has a non contact broadcast mode that works through induction and live power can be traced that way. The 521A doesn't.

Neither the 521 or the pro800 are meant to connect to live circuits. Never connect to an energized line.

If you're looking for the best wire and valve locator on the planet, the 800 is in my personal opinion, that locator.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2014, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

So I can indirectly find live wires using the pro 800. What I would like to know is of there Is a 120volt wire going from the house to the shed, would I be able to generally locate it ? In other words, if it's live it would emit an electric field, would the pro 800 be able to detect that field? And about how much should I pay for the pro 800?

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
You can use the receiver of the progressive 521(stubby) to passively detect live power lines but you are detecting and not pinpoint locating. Direct connection is the only real means of identifying a target you're tracing.

The pro800 has a non contact broadcast mode that works through induction and live power can be traced that way. The 521A doesn't.

Neither the 521 or the pro800 are meant to connect to live circuits. Never connect to an energized line.

If you're looking for the best wire and valve locator on the planet, the 800 is in my personal opinion, that locator.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2014, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitjin View Post
So I can indirectly find live wires using the pro 800. What I would like to know is of there Is a 120volt wire going from the house to the shed, would I be able to generally locate it ? In other words, if it's live it would emit an electric field, would the pro 800 be able to detect that field? And about how much should I pay for the pro 800?

Thx

Posted via Mobile Device
I use the 800 to do most all of my locating anymore. I used to use three to five locators for various types of locates. Now I use the 800.

To answer your question, yes but it depends upon your skill level as to how much you're going to get out of it. I will be happy to help with any issues you may have getting started with the locator.

I don't know the current price and would not post it if I did. I will say that it cheap at twice the price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2014, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some locators will inform you that you are near a buried powerline, because the electric field around it will overwhelm everything else. That still doesn't pinpoint it, though.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Btw. If tracing electrical wiring is your main interest and irrigation is second, call armada and speak to Dan, tell him I sent you and he will lead you in the right direction. You can also get my number from them and call me, I'll take you through a locate by video.

Here's their number (616) 803-1080
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2014, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow thx for all the info, you guys go the extra distance.
Primary objective is valve and wire location and detection. I will buy the pro 800 probably this week. I will base my price on sprinkler warehouse website. I don't own a wire or valve locator but I rent one from the irrigation dealer for 50$/ day. I fed up and now investing in good equipment for the long term.
I will post if I need help as you guys are very helpful.

Thx
Mit

QUOTE=1idejim;5048929]Btw. If tracing electrical wiring is your main interest and irrigation is second, call armada and speak to Dan, tell him I sent you and he will lead you in the right direction. You can also get my number from them and call me, I'll take you through a locate by video.

Here's their number (616) 803-1080
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2014, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

By the way, you can tie a locator output to a ground wire in a cable. For instance, a lamppost that also included a grounded power outlet on it, would allow me to do a locate on the cable feeding it, although I never tried it with the lamp power on.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
By the way, you can tie a locator output to a ground wire in a cable. For instance, a lamppost that also included a grounded power outlet on it, would allow me to do a locate on the cable feeding it, although I never tried it with the lamp power on.
You can connect to any metallic portion of the lamp or to the base mounting bolts. It all grounded. Tracing like this is ok on lamp post bases because the direction is usually pretty obvious. On power grounds you light up all of the conductors without identifying the original target. You can connect to the ground stake or the locking tab of the panel.

I had to trace a waterline that was buried with an old satellite service. It was so tight I couldn't turn it to get a connection so I skinned the 10 ga galvy wire they use and slid my knife in there and connected to the knife. Great direct connection.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2014, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well Jim , talked to Josh at amarda. Apparently it dosnt make a different noise when over a valve. His advice was to use high power , low volume and listen for a volume increase.