Register free!

Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Applying Celsius and Mansion at the same time ?

Does anyone having any experience mixing and applying celsius and mansion at the same time/same tank, or any suggestions as to why it shouldn't be done? This would be applied to zoysia grass....and before anyone asks yes I'm licensed and no it doesn't say anything about it on the label....just looking for some real-world opinions, thanks.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally would never do that. ever. Out of curiosity why would you do that? im not being a prick just curious. celcius will kill it all without mansion. same AI I wouldn't double up.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What are you trying to kill. Both have a very broad spectrum of weeds?

Why double the chemicals?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys...I have a Bull Paspalum problem and for whatever reason the Celsius doesn't control it near as well as straight Mansion and I was trying to avoid double apps since I'll be spraying the Celsius anyways for other stuff...I didn't think it was probably a great idea though.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A23 View Post
Thanks for the replys...I have a Bull Paspalum problem and for whatever reason the Celsius doesn't control it near as well as straight Mansion and I was trying to avoid double apps since I'll be spraying the Celsius anyways for other stuff...I didn't think it was probably a great idea though.
I didn't realize Mansion (I assume this is metsulfuron) controlled Bull Paspalum. At what rate do you use this for control? I've had good success on paspalum with Celsius.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most paspalums are well controlled by Celsius. It is all in how the application is made. Consider coverage and then penetration of the AI when deciding how to apply the label rate of Celsius.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-03-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've had the impression that Celsius was better at grassy weeds and Metsulfuron was better at broadleaf. Maybe if there was a combo of weeds you were fighting it would make sense to use both.

Have you ever used both together GD?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have. It is a rather harsh mix. Lots of yellowing and stunting. Rather not unless the next stop is a rip and re sod. Before Celsius, I noticed the effect of metsulfuron on various grassy weeds. Especially Paspalum conjugatum. No mention of this weed on the label, but here in Hawaii, it is possible for this species to be the turf. Otherwise, it forms patches in poorly maintained lawns. Treat such a lawn with 1/2 oz metsulfuron and the paspalum is damaged enough to favor bermuda or zoysia. I will not apply metsulfuron if an area has too much paspalum. 2,4-D based treatments are a lot safer. When Celsius was introduced, I noticed less than spectacular control of broadleaves, but the ability to effect gradual removal of grassy weeds. Gradual is the key word because rapid burn down means the weeds go down quicker than the desirable turf can fill the holes. It did not replace metsulfuron. I still need metsulfuron for indigo, oxalis, and prostrate spurge. The other herbicides for those weeds are not very safe for warm season grasses.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks again for the responses,good info here...and yes mansion definitely controls bull paspalum. I've been spot spraying at the mid-rate and it works very well.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

It will yellow the heck out of a lawn. Trubrown did it to a lawn I took over and it clearly stated on work order dilution rates of manor and Celsius were at the high rate.