Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 06-08-2014, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

New Raptor SD clutch rattle

I'm getting a lot of noise from my clutch. On the outside of the clutch is a slot that a bar sits in (brake?) The clutch moves back and forth hitting the bar making lots of noise, it rattles even when the blades are not engaged. I would think this would cause wear eventually. Is the clutch supposed to move like this? I know someone with the standard Raptor and the clutch doesn't move a bit. Is this common and if not is there a way to fix it? The mower only has 3 hours on it.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Sponsor

What is your model and serial number?

Brian O
Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Sponsor

Some models have a little more air gap than others and it's giving a rattle noise. Our engineers are working on a good fix. Larger units use part # 784918 as a bumper on the anchor. It works for a short time on the Raptor but a more solid fix is coming for those few units that Rattle. The air gap does no damage to the unit just bugs the operator. I would suggest waiting a bit for the final fix and be done with it. It will just be a plug and play type piece.

Brian O
Old 07-04-2014, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Raptor SD Rattle

two weeks ago, purchased a Raptor SD from a dealer located about 1000 miles from my city located in northern BC (closest one). I am quite pleased with this unit except for the loud rattle that seems to be coming out of the rear somewhere. It only occurs while mowing. I assume this might be the "clutch" rattle mentioned in this thread. I am concerned about the long term effect, but also it is so annoying! My neighbor even came over to ask what the noise was. I mow several properties in my town so would like to get this noise problem solved. It seems that this might be a known problem, any ideas of when a solution will be available, and also I am hoping I will be able to fix myself since the dealer is so far away. thanks Frank
Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I am also experiencing this issue. I called Hustler last night and they told me to take it to a dealer and have them adjust the clutch anchor. For reasons similar to jcimob, that is inconvenient. I took a look at the clutch anchor and there does not appear to be any adjustment built into it, only 2 fixed mounting bolts.

I was also told it will not cause any damage as is. Not sure about that but it certainly sounds awful. I would think that metal parts hitting each other at high speed and frequency would cause something to wear.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

That's good to hear. I looked at several new mowers of all sizes and none had the bumper on it. I took a piece of rubber and weather strip adhesive to quiet mine for the time being. It's very annoying and I've had neighbors comment on how terrible my mower sounds for being brand new.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

My new RSD 60" has the same rattle. It is very intermittent until then deck is engaged. You can see the vibration in the deck drive belt and here the noise at the same time.

Any update on a fix?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Sponsor

Please send me your serial numbers of the units if you can. If the unit was registered I can track it down and see what the issue are and get a servicing dealer involved. There was a Service Bulletin on these machines and I must first check that it was done.

Brian O
Old 07-11-2014, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

My unit does appear to have the clutch work completed. There is a witness mark on both the bolt and washer so I am assuming the work was done at the factory.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Brian, any update on this?