Register free!

Old 06-09-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

skip the crabgrass control on healthy turf?

For lawns where crabgrass hasn't been a problem and lawn is thick would it be better to skip putting down the chemical and just use a straight fertilizer?

I remember meeting a guy years ago who had a beautiful lawn and said he never used crabgrass control, sometimes it feels like the chemical weakens the turf.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You could skip it. Maybe just liquid around the pavement if it gets beat up. A thick, healthy, maintained lawn is the best preventative measure. Save the pre-em and put some seed out.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As long as you plan on applying a post ap if crabgrass does appear. On some lawns, I only apply one pre-m instead of split aps. I plan on going back and spot spray with Quinclorac to hit anything that pops up. The Quinclorac works well on some broadleafs, as well.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Depends on:
How low & how often you mow.

Do you see any now?
Old 06-10-2014, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

no, I'm mainly talking about lawns where I've never seen it, been taking care of some for 10 years or more and they never had any usually mow 3" in summer some higher.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Crabgrass seeds can lay dormant in the ground for many years. I have Bermuda at one of my properties and I always applied a pre-emergent but I forgot this year. The Bermuda is infested with crabgrass now.

I ran a dingo cultivator over a property last year and seeded with Zenith Zoysia. Prior, it never had a weed of any type. Within a week, the entire area had a crabgrass seedling at least every square inch. Luckily, Zoysia is great at crowding out weeds and it's weed free this year.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are treating cool season grasses like I do. A lot of my lawns receive very little pre-emergent, only along edges and arrows where I have seen it previously. We don't have nearly the crabgrass pressure that the guys south of us do.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see a problem with it. I never get crab in my lawn and stopped laying down pre a few years ago and have not had any problem at all. If there are a few shoots along the driveway I just pull them out or hit them with drive = toast
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-28-2014, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tried it on two lawns this year, results are very interesting. Both lawns never got the red thread that almost all others got, color is much better on both, the growth was constant , health looks to be a lot better. These both got a product with the same N value. I have read a couple studies that suggested some possibilities of root damage on healthy established turf using dimension and prodiamine, thoughts ? Also very few weeds have shown and minor crab along the road edge as usual.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Crabgrass, knotweed, oxalis, spurge, and purslane (summer annual weeds) have already emerged here.

I did not treat my lawn with any PRE this year. Here is a photo of my lawn today. Not a single weed in it.

Only thing I did was apply N,P, and six micronutrients about a month ago.

During summer weather, I mow at 3 1/4 -- 3 1/2 inches..... This is the problem with homeowners. Unless their lawn is professionally mowed >> they are almost ALWAYS mowing too short!!

Homeowners bring this (crabgrass) problem on themselves. Try to tell them, but forget it. Then they blame their lawn service for the problems their lawn encounters. Weeds, thinning out, diseases, etc, etc.

It's the same game every year. Homeowners swear they do every thing right.
Attached Images