Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need a 48" ztr that won't scalp

In north Atlanta we have very difficult lawns to cut. There are a lot of hills, the contractors who build homes here don't grade properly so most properties have "Swales" that scalp very easily. Bermuda grass grows thick and rapidly so a higher hp/pto clutch helps. It rains a lot so something that is easy on the turf. The best solution to these lawns are walk behinds, which I run, however I need to add a ztr to the trailer. I'm trying to find a mower that is versatile. Something that can be used on my larger properties and my smaller residential.

cut qualityon hills and Swales is the most important factor in choosing the right mower.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
In north Atlanta we have very difficult lawns to cut. There are a lot of hills, the contractors who build homes here don't grade properly so most properties have "Swales" that scalp very easily. Bermuda grass grows thick and rapidly so a higher hp/pto clutch helps. It rains a lot so something that is easy on the turf. The best solution to these lawns are walk behinds, which I run, however I need to add a ztr to the trailer. I'm trying to find a mower that is versatile. Something that can be used on my larger properties and my smaller residential.

cut qualityon hills and Swales is the most important factor in choosing the right mower.
you're looking for a walker or an exmark navigator my friend.

If your lawns are large enough you could go with a grasshopper

but dollars to donuts a walker is your machine
Old 07-04-2014, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My old Gravely is bad about scalping for some reason my new Deere has yet to scalp and I have yet to find 1 thing to complain about the unit, I have rough terrain over here on the mountains bumps, dips, hills everywhere.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-04-2014, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Deere huh? I didn't even put them on my list of potential mowers.

As far as the navigator and walker. How productive are they vs a ztr? I own walker mw's (walk behind) and they are finicky expensive machines. I just had a hydro go on one and it's going to be $1200 to fix it... The other one had to have the pto actuator cradle replaced... $700. I'd like to go with something a little more durable. Speed is important as well as being able to track side to side on a hill. The walker/navigators seem slow and look like they would be very demanding on your body. Plus let's talk about the price... Ouch... $13k?

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
Deere huh? I didn't even put them on my list of potential mowers
Most excellent machine I did not have them on my list either bad dealer with Gravely left and went to new Deere place here amazing support excellent warranty, good partnerships.

I just went with the dial o turn instead of hydro on my deck I have the 920M 7 Iron Pro 48" and it's got to be the best cutting deck around now hardly gets build up inside of it being stamped deck, massive spindles, NEVER misses a blade of grass, excellent price I got on the unit as well just had came in from factory was built in May.

I will be trading in next year when I get new trailer over winter and new setup going for a 54" same model.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-04-2014, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't had any issues with my 48' GRAVELY. Have you looked around in your area at what machines other LCOs are using? It will be a cold day in SC when I spend $13,000 for a mower.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I haven't had any issues with my 48' GRAVELY. Have you looked around in your area at what machines other LCOs are using? It will be a cold day in SC when I spend $13,000 for a mower.
What 48" mower are you paying 13K for?

2014 John Deere Z960R with 7 Iron Pro Deck

Stihl:
Chain Saws: 029 Farm Boss, MS291, MS391
Weed eaters: FS85R, FS110R, FS130R, FS250R
Polesaw: HT131
Leaf Blower: SG86

Honda:
(2) EU2000i Generators

Husqvarna
HU800WH 22" Self Propel Push Mower with Honda Engine
HU625HWT 22" Weed-eater on wheels.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwatson99 View Post
What 48" mower are you paying 13K for?
Post above me stated "$13k for a mower ooch". I assume he is talking about a Walker.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Post above me stated "$13k for a mower ooch". I assume he is talking about a Walker.
Sorry still drinking my OJ this morning, then soon to an ALE8.

2014 John Deere Z960R with 7 Iron Pro Deck

Stihl:
Chain Saws: 029 Farm Boss, MS291, MS391
Weed eaters: FS85R, FS110R, FS130R, FS250R
Polesaw: HT131
Leaf Blower: SG86

Honda:
(2) EU2000i Generators

Husqvarna
HU800WH 22" Self Propel Push Mower with Honda Engine
HU625HWT 22" Weed-eater on wheels.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
That's the issue. Everyone seems to have a certain preference and one brand doesn't reign supreme. I can get any brand of mower I want. There are a ton of dealers in my area.