Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-07-2014, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello from Northern California

I'm new to this site and just thought I would introduce myself… My business is just getting started and we are located in Northern California.

I spent most of my childhood and young adult life working in construction, landscaping, etc.. Family business. Was in the Navy, then started working in the education/mental health field. Worked with severely emotionally disturbed children and adolescents for many years.

I recently decided to make a much needed change, but wanted to continuing giving back. So, my best buddy and I decided to start a landscaping, lawn care, general labor, and hauling business that specializes in providing low cost services to veterans, active/reserve military personnel and their families, seniors, the disabled, and non-profit organizations. We are soon to be partnered with city/county/state workability programs that gives on the job training to high school students receiving mental health services. A portion of all our earnings go back to help a variety of child, senior, and veteran based non-profit organizations and programs throughout Northern California.

We are very proud of our business and feel great each and every time we are out working.

Cheers!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome, also from Northern CA.
Good luck on your new business, what city are you located in?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2014, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

The closest city to us is Sacramento. I recently moved out here from the Bay Area.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATHLÁN View Post
The closest city to us is Sacramento. I recently moved out here from the Bay Area.
We are from the bay area. We service the whole bay, but rarely do work in the Sac area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2014, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I sure miss living in the bay area!

In the bay are you required to get a county general business license and a "special license"? The licensing here has been a nightmare. We are licensed for the county, both general and special. However, each incorporated "city" within sac county also requires a license to operate in the area. It's crazy. The fee's are really high, which we cannot afford yet. What doesn't make sense is that the City of Sacramento does not require a business license, but all the small cities around it do. I did however get one fee waived for Placer County by being a veteran. That surprised me.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the forum as there are not many here that are on the proper side of the Sierra's.

I'm kind of confused a little bit from what you said regarding Licensing.

I hold both state pest and contractor license, Have to pull business licenses for every city I work in as well as the county of san Mateo, the City and County of San Francisco and as well as SFO contractor license.

Take a wild guess but since you said placer county, I'm assuming that your up by Roseville, Auburn area.(Sister lives in Newcastle)

When you're doing hauling, what kind of stuff are you hauling?

John
Old 07-11-2014, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey John….

As fas as licensing goes, I was just unaware that every city requires a license even though you are licensed through the county that they are in. Having my own full-time business is still new and I'm learning something everyday. It's crazy how much the licensing is. When I lived on the coast and had a small side business, it barely cost me anything to operate.

As far as hauling, currently we've just been doing whatever people need… i.e., garage clean-out, dump runs, etc. We are working on getting a trailer, but for now, we are just using my truck. Unfortunately we are still waiting on our license for Placer County. We are located near the Citrus Heights area.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

spent many nights in that city as I spent a lot of time up at Sac State. Change sooo much though since I was there chasing girls 30 years ago.

Well good luck and don't melt......to darn hot lately this early in the summer.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATHLÁN View Post
. Worked with severely emotionally disturbed children and adolescents for many years.

Cheers!
Good, you'll find plenty of customers in this industry fit that description, they're just a little older.

And still not rich

Old 07-12-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

HAHAHA… Isn't that the truth!