Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2014, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Pruning & Pole Saw Attachment: need help

I have a Toro string trimmer and I would like to add a pole saw to it. What are some good (quality) pole saw attachment available for my Toro trimmer?

Toro doesn't make one but Ryobi one that HD sells fits but I want some opinion on that and other more expensive one.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Sponsor

Save your money and purchase either an Echo PAS system or the Stihl Kombi. Don't even consider a Ryobi.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-14-2014, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks easy-lift guy! Will it fit my Toro though? How can I confirm that it will fit? Are those toro shaft have the same fitment? Is there a name for those style of shaft or are they the same across all brands?

What do you think about the Husqvarna pole saw attachment? They cost about the same as the echo and stihl, ~$200.

Last edited by Trey T; 07-14-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Sponsor

I am sure that Husqvarna makes as good of a product as Stihl,Echo for your needs. I believe each manufacturer has slightly different means of attaching various implements to the their drive units.
I would be very surprised if you would be able to attach anything else to your Toro split shaft unit other than another Toro attachment.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-16-2014, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, many of the inexpensive split shafts, like Ryobi, Craftsman, Poulan, Troybilt, are interchangeable. But they are of far lesser quality than Husky, Stihl or Echo.

For occasional use, if you go easy on it the inexpensive split shafts will get you by for awhile, but they won't take anywhere near the abuse the higher priced brands will. I also think a dedicated unit wil last longer and work better than a split shaft or conbination unit.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

That's a bummer. I got over $400 worth of stuff for my Toro trimmer w/ several attachments.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
That's a bummer. I got over $400 worth of stuff for my Toro trimmer w/ several attachments.
Use the gear you have and set aside enough money after each job to afford descent replacement gear for the future. Between now and than you will have more experience and feed back from other members using the other brands.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-17-2014, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
I had my troy bilt and used it on 2 lawns for 5 years but I finally gave it away when it started to give me problems frequently. I miss the 4 stroke off idle torque.

Use it until it breaks and sell everything or sell it all now and get something better. I have $700 in my Echo PAS-225 with trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, and pole saw. You can get the package with trimmer/blower or trimmer/edger for $300. Then add on to that.

The 225 is a little weak/slow with the saw but gets it done.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Poulan Pro polesaw that I'm pretty sure would fit your Toro. It isn't the quality of the top brands, but would probably be a good match for your Toro. I think you can get one for something like $100-$120 off the Web. Something like that would tide you over until you decide to spring for a higher priced unit. If the Ryobi trimmer attachment is any indication, the Poulan Pro is higher quality than the Ryobi.

It isn't a well known brand, but Tanaka makes some high quality equipment. List price for them is pretty high, but I've seen both the trimmers and the attachments go on sale for steep markdowns. I bought an articulating trimmer attachment that way that was excellent quality and priced nearly as low as the bargain brands.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm gonna get the Ryobi 10-inch pole saw attachment from HD $100. Why I chose this one:

- Fit my Toro head
- Pole saw 10" (comparable to Husky, Stihl, and Echo)
- Pole saw is tilted
- Have good reviews on HD and Amazon
- $100 is better than spending $500 for a new set of equipment

Seems like a no-brainer decision but I gotta see.....