Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-27-2014, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

21/30 inch mowers as main mowers

Last year there was a good post on this subject about those using only small mowers and those thinking about switching to it. I was wondering how it was going for those already using small mowers and for those thinking about it did you change and if so how is it going this year? Last year we changed to using all 30 inch exmarks. It started off rough with tranny problems, but ended well. This year it's gone really well. Last year we switched to half acre and down lawns. We use to have lazer ztr's and hydro walk behinds. The change was really good for us. How is with the rest of you?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSantor View Post
Last year there was a good post on this subject about those using only small mowers and those thinking about switching to it. I was wondering how it was going for those already using small mowers and for those thinking about it did you change and if so how is it going this year? Last year we changed to using all 30 inch exmarks. It started off rough with tranny problems, but ended well. This year it's gone really well. Last year we switched to half acre and down lawns. We use to have lazer ztr's and hydro walk behinds. The change was really good for us. How is with the rest of you?
What benefits did you get from the change? Were at a crossroads with current equipment. Currently using only walk behinds and one push. We either need to get ztrs to make larger lawns more profitable or we need to stick to only small lots
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Next year I'm going to launch a 3rd mowing crew that has only 21/30" mowers. 2 of each to be best equipt for most small to medium sized lawns. I've noticed that the 30 is what my guys want to use if it's available, but a 21 is still needed often enough and is a mower that can be carried. A 30 isn't the best thing to carry!

We love our 36" hydro WBs, but at a price. They're a must for a lot of our hilly properties though! A 30 is not a hillside machine for sure. A 21 can go anywhere, but it's not nearly as productive.

They're very cost effective. The cost of 2 21s and 2 30s is the same as buying on 36" hydro WB! So it's easy to fund this growth. I hope that it all works out next year through...
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Old 07-27-2014, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland Lawn View Post
Next year I'm going to launch a 3rd mowing crew that has only 21/30" mowers. 2 of each to be best equipt for most small to medium sized lawns. I've noticed that the 30 is what my guys want to use if it's available, but a 21 is still needed often enough and is a mower that can be carried. A 30 isn't the best thing to carry!

We love our 36" hydro WBs, but at a price. They're a must for a lot of our hilly properties though! A 30 is not a hillside machine for sure. A 21 can go anywhere, but it's not nearly as productive.

They're very cost effective. The cost of 2 21s and 2 30s is the same as buying on 36" hydro WB! So it's easy to fund this growth. I hope that it all works out next year through...
Im doing the same thing next year. Crew 5 will be ALL 21 push (hoping to get 30s for next year)

1) so i can optimize the investment of the more expensive mowers to do more of what they are designed for and
2) because I can use less trained/experience guys who tend to rotate more often
3) so I can sell more small lawn work with much less investment.

Hoping to have 2-3 mini lawn crews (21/30)
2-3 mixed residential crews (48 rider/36 wb)
and 2 commercial/large lawn crews (1 with two riders, 1 with a rider and two wbs)

Once I get there (6-8 mow crews) I will likely stop growing and only sell new lawns that either A) replace less profitable lawns or B) buy other services than just mowing (and replace less profitable accounts)

but next years growth will begin with the mini 21/30 crew, for which I already have enough lawns, which will allow me to fill vacancies in the other lists with larger equipment.

Hope for two 30s next season.
dunno what Im going to buy for 21s. Im done with my disappointment in the hondas.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

been thinking hard about scag 32" belt drive lately too.

but the price is nearly double of a 30" and we go back to having to train guys to use them instead of just walking behind them on day one.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post

but the price is nearly double of a 30" and we go back to having to train guys to use them instead of just walking behind them on day one.
But so much more efficient. Add a sulky if you want. Twice the power. Last for 15 years. If a guy can't master a beltdrive there are a lot bigger things he will suck at that will make the job look bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

The benefits I've seen to our company switching to the 30 inch exmarks: The cost of the machine. Three machines equals one hydro walkbehind. The 30's come with the bag, mulch plug, and side discharge. Walk behinds you pay $300 plus for a bag, and $200 plus for a mulch kit and if you want to ride $200 plus for a velkey. The cost hurts your profit. The 30's you can change right away walkbehinds you can not. Versitility with cutting is huge, if you really care about making the lawn look great for the customers. We can put a good hard worker behind a 30 without a lot of training. Teaching someone to use a hydro takes time. In the spring no one has time to train. I can have back up mowers with the 30. If you use the mowers hard all mowers ztr's, walkbehinds, and 30's,at times break down with the 30's cost you can have a back up mower ready to go. The price we spend on gas is less. The cut is great. The 30's have some good points of the 21's and the walkbehinds. No mower is perfect. The cost to fix the 30's is less. Break a hydro pump get ready to pay big money. I did twice!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
But so much more efficient. Add a sulky if you want. Twice the power. Last for 15 years. If a guy can't master a beltdrive there are a lot bigger things he will suck at that will make the job look bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
dude…3/4 of the people *on this site* can't master a belt drive!! what hope is there for cyclic employees?
That's the main attraction to the commercial 30, little to no training for employees to start mowing.

As it is right now I still have two guys that REFUSE to use the 36" walk behind we have because they say "its faster to use 21's"….no they are just too dumb to work it right….they can run a Vride or a Tiger Cat, but not a SWZ? Friggen stupid.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post

But how are the 30" trans holding up ? I have not looked at the Scagg belt drives but would assume they are similar to my 44" Toro.On a couple of my lawns I have been more efficient with the 44" walk behind vs the 61 " ztr.Was hoping to tighten my stops up to 1/4-1/3 acre lots in one development.That seems to be the best for me.

Also been thinking of dropping to a 1/2 ton 8 foot bed truck with a custom hitch mtd carrier for a 36" walkbehind.That way the bed can be used for a 21" mower and baggers along with clippings.Also a rack for blower and weed trimmers.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland Lawn View Post

may i ask how you like those toro proline 21s??

you have 6, how old are they and what is your maintenance/upkeep/downtime experience with them?