Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2014, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

5 acre property

Hey guys and gals,

I recently purchased a 5 acre property that is approximately 80% grass, relatively all flat aside from the septic field. I live up in Manitoba, north of North Dakota for those unsure where Manitoba is... Our grass cutting season is typically from May-Oct.

Now that's out of the way... I'm considering all my options out there, there currently is a 42" mower on a craftsman riding tractor which will get my by until I find something a little better suited for this size property.

I really like the idea of reel mowers, no vacuum effect, clippings return where they were cut, better for the lawn, etc. Now if I can find a used reel mower, what should I be looking for?

There are a few for sale around here, ex

Toro Reelmaster 5200d w/ 3064 hrs for $2,500
Jacobsen LF3810 4WD w/ 3200 hrs and new reels and bed knives $4,500
Toro Sidewinder 3100D w/ 2250 hrs for $3,950

If possible which would be best suited to keep me from sitting on the tractor for less than 2 hrs per mow?

Anything I should look out for when buying used?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Sponsor

Unless your lawn consist of fairways or greens you will be throwing good money after bad results. Not knowing what type of turf you have to work with I believe you would be better with a 72" rotary mower, perhaps a ZTR.
At least with a 72' deck you will finish nearly twice as fast, in the winter attach a snow blower to the front end and have duel purpose for year round use.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-25-2014, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, you don't want a reel mower. Those mower's are for cutting at 1 1/2" or less. They don't cut tall grass well at all, and i'll bet that's what you have. You need a rotary mower.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Ideally I'd like to get it to a fairway like lawn... Currently looks like this:

This property is one I'll be at until I cannot maintain it on my own, there is a snow blower attachment for the craftsman as well as a homemade poly sprayer, so only looking for a mower to keep my seat time low.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input...

Can't keep the grass too short around here or else when we get our dry heat that rolls through in July the grass will go brown.

At my last property (city lot) I kept my push mower two notches from the top so roughly 3" and my lawn always stayed green...

Wife likes soft grass so she and the kids can walk bare foot outside. Current grass there needs to be over seeded and fertilized as its not nice and thick. Last owner used the 42" ride on so no fertilization or over seeding was done. Was told it took him a good 6 hours to mow the yard. Would like to bring that down to 2 hrs. I enjoy my family time...
Old 08-25-2014, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a toro groundsmaster 72" outfront rotary mower. Shop used but not too used. Part's for those thing's aren't cheap. That will cut that time to 2 hour's or less.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A big zero turn will do you well and you'll be able to fly around, leaving a nice cut and getting it done fast. I'm assuming you have a budget around what you have listed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2014, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, the wife doesn't want me spending more than $5000 on a mower that's only used 5 maybe 6 months out of the year...

The local hustler dealer has a 52" for $3300 and a 60" for $5000

Haven't really heard too much of hustler up here in Canada, what is the consensus on them?
Old 08-28-2014, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Also has anyone ever used promow's pull behind gang mower? Came across a 5 reel hybrid for $2300... Video of it looks pretty sweet especially if the craftsman tractor can pull it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFn5IsZ7-Q8
Old 08-28-2014, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, you need to quit thinking about reel mower's, that is the wrong tool for the job, you need a rotary mower. Did you see the way those reel's were stalling in that tall grass. And when they were turning they weren't cutting much at all. You can get a lot of mower for $5000, keep on shopping. If you don't have to have it right away, wait till winter, the price's will drop. Good luck.