Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-15-2003, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

16 year old kid

Hey everyone,

My names Ryan and I am 16 years old i would like to start mowing lawns this summer to earn money to pay off my car. The problem is i have no idea where to start or the equipment i will need. Could you guys help me out? maybe tell me the first steps in getting started. The equipment i need, and the approximate cost. I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 04-16-2003, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to lawnsite. I'd say start out doing a search for lawn mowers and trimmers and blowers. Also think about what types of lawns are you looking at to maintain so that you get the right equipment for the job. Do you have any lawn mowing accounts already?? If not make sure you have the accounts before going out and buying a lawn mower. If your looking to get serious in the business look into commercial grade equipment. If you need to buy equipment up front and you have the money now that would be the best. But once you start mowing, some of that money is going to have to go towards paying for the equipment that you are using to cut the lawn instead of all going to your car.
Do some searching, most will tell you to get commercial equipment if you want to do the job right, and i will agree, I'm 19 started with homeowner stuff and it doesnt last and doesnt hold up to constant mowing. Nothing in this business is free, seems like your always paying something off, in your case your car, but to get to pay your car your going to have to pay for the equipment to make yourself that money first.
Good Luck
Matt
2003 8.5x16' Great Lakes Cargo Enclosed Trailer
2005 6x20' BNM tandem 12,000lbs trailer
2011 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2005 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2004 Scag 72" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2001 Scag 52" Turf Tiger 23 LCKawi
2002 Scag 52" SWZ 17 Kawi
2003 JD 250 Series II 64hp
Echo handhelds
Old 04-22-2003, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

STARTING OUT

Ryan,

I started out doing lawns the same way you did. It started out with somebody knowing someone that needed their grass cut, and it's went from there. I've also learned that word of mouth is the best way to advertise. Also, just talking to people about what you do and things like that.

I've also learned that you have to be willing to stand and talk with the customer for a couple of minutes once in a while. You can't just cut the grass and leave.

Anyway, this is just my .02 and the major thing of all that I have learned is to buy the best equipment you can afford.

Good luck and enjoy making your money.

By the way, what are you going to haul your equipment around in?
Old 04-22-2003, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have anything to use now? Use that to get started... fill in the holes where you need it with a line trimmer, blower, etc. I'm assuming you've got a functioning lawn mower at this point.

If you can start in your neighborhood - or one nearby, that's a good place to start.

Keep your costs as low as possible by not investing heavily in new equipment unless you're prepared to start running a 9 month a year operation, even while you goto school. If you're just mowing in the summertime and then leaving customers to fend for themeselve in spring and fall - my recommendation would be to travel light.