Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2003, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Newbie here HELP PLZ!!!

Hi Guys,
I'm new in the biz so I need some help here. I know depends on the size of the lawn but, how much could I bid for an average residencial lawn for 1year contract including mow, blow, edge monthly, aerating & fertiling in early spring & late fall? Is this a any good for atleast keep the lawn healthy? Or what could I offer? What do you guys do? Anything will help, thnx-u.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Me again
what kind of equipment do I need for this job, mower, trimmer, edger? what else?
Old 04-24-2003, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What is average? What is your fixed cost? What is your variable cost? Do you have any idea the types or amounts of fertilizer to use? Do you have any customers? Do you have any experience? Do you have GL insurance yet?

Some of your questions are impossible to answer without more info. Some of your questions can be learned by spending time reading on this site. The beginner questions are in volumes here. You must apply yourself to reading. There is enough here to keep you up all night for weeks.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

The best plan is one the is "pre-planned". Learn everything you can about the business you want to be in BEFORE you start ! If you can not answer your own simple questions, then your plan has already failed.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

-Average houses here have about 500-700 sqf
-I didnt even know about fixed or variable costs. Could you help me in that?
-I have no experiance, well just in doing my dad's lawn
-I haven't start yet so no costomers or insurance

I just would like to know how to start and what kind of equipment will I need for these residencial lawns. I would like to do like total care (mow, blow, edge, fertilizer, weed control....etc).

Also where can I get some courses (if any) to learn more on how to apply fertilizer or for weed control?
Old 04-24-2003, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by J.R. Lawn Care
-Average houses here have about 500-700 sqf
-I didnt even know about fixed or variable costs. Could you help me in that?
-I have no experiance, well just in doing my dad's lawn
-I haven't start yet so no costomers or insurance

I just would like to know how to start and what kind of equipment will I need for these residencial lawns. I would like to do like total care (mow, blow, edge, fertilizer, weed control....etc).

Also where can I get some courses (if any) to learn more on how to apply fertilizer or for weed control?
Now you are asking the right questions. For starters you need to use the search and start reading. You need to see many opinions and thoughts. There is a lot of BS on some threads, but the nuggets are there. A few answers on this thread will not provide you with everything you need. Got to do your homework with the search feature.
Use words like:small residential, 21" mower, cost, general liability, walkbehind, etc.

You should go to your local agriculture extension agency. They would probably have lots of information on grasses. The book store usually has some ok books.

I happen to have a degree in accounting. I can help you via email on cost accounting. Drop me an email.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

j.r.

how old are you? if your old enough to get a job then by all means find one in the green industry. learn how to do different task before you jump into business. at least that way you can learn what it takes to make it in this business and what it takes to make a property look great. take notes, a daily log, these are the kinds of thing we look back on to figure where we goofed on our estimating, look for an explanation for the manhours and why they were so high, get future numbers from, learn from our mistakes, and to learn from ourselves. you've heard the term "if you don't learn from the past you're doomed to repeat it"? business is an everchanging thing and you have to wear many different hats as an owner. in my opinion from your statement you need to educate, educate, educate. if you were jump into business now and then realize the commitment it takes to run one of the business you may think it twice.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

J.R.
I agree with Hicks.... GET A JOB in the green business and learn about it the right way.

Read the local help wanted ads instead.

Mark