Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2000, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My 95 2500HD has always pulled to the left or right when braking, and I have replaced the front pads 4 times so far (59k miles). So this weekend I pulled the rear drums and replaced the wheel cylinders with ones from a 3500. (12.99 each at Napa). What a world of difference! The truck now stops shorter with the trailer than it ever did empty. Straight and true stops with no more drifting. And great pedal feel, pushing the brake is like Grandad's 72 Riviera.

If you are tired of weak brakes on your 3/4 ton Ram, give this easy fix a try.
Old 09-22-2000, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ill have to try that...if i have my full trailer behind me and i push the break i can literly make a left turn into a parking lot without touching the wheel. thats how bad it is on my 99 2500

Eric Estes
Five Star Lawn Care LLC
Old 09-22-2000, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That is exactly the problem I have been dealing with the last six years. No more. Been almost a week now and no veering. I do notice when its wet and the truck is empty and no trailer its easier to lock up the rear (feel the abs controller kick in) due to the increased stopping power. I just have to get used to using less pedal to stop in shorter distances.
Old 10-04-2000, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Another thing that is important on all trucks,especially 94+Rams is adjusting the rear brakes.I did mine every oil change and the pedal would be much firmer and the rear brakes work as designed that way.If you let them get out of adjustment the fronts do all the work,leading to rapid front pad wear,warped rotors,and white nuckle stops when the fronts lock and the rears keep going when you have a tongue heavy trailer,or a big load in the bed.I had 62 on mine when i sold it and i had just replaced the original pads in front,even though they had 1/4 left on them.I ddint want to sell it needing brakes.Every time i adjusted them,i got at least 7-15 clicks in only 3000 miles of driving,the parking brake works better too after an adjustment.
Old 10-15-2000, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any good places to read about how to adjust the rear brakes? I am competent but by no means a mechanic. Would a Chilton manual explain this sufficiently? Also would the 3500 rear drums fit on a 1500?
Old 10-15-2000, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope...the 1500s have 5 or 6 lugs or something and 2500, 3500's are all 8 lugs

Eric Estes
Five Star Lawn Care LLC