Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2000, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has any one every converted those ryder trucks and nade a dump out of them and is it worth all the trouble?
Old 09-27-2000, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I Used to have an old U-Haul truck, that was converted into a light duty dump. The hardest part about this conversion, is finding a body. Your options are:

Find a used body, sometimes hard to do because of the long frame lenght.

Buy a new body.

Shorten the fram and buy a used body to fit, or brand new body.

If you can find a truck in good condition, and the price is right it isn't always a bad idea.

However i know a guy that works at a ford dealership, that U-Haul uses to service their trucks. He says they bring in trucks with blow motors, trans, rear ends, ect all painted orange. Then they have the Ford guy through it in, Uhaul maintains the truck, only they generally have 500,000 on it when they sell them, i have heard. The old U Haul GMC i bought had like 300,000 K on it when they sold it, i put another 100,000 on it, the end result was i was able to make out ok, because the truck had a used body. However if ot had a new body, i may have lost money.

Geoff
Old 09-27-2000, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ryder is different tho, they renew their trucks every 2 yrs at most. My dad bought an old Hertz rental cube van, drove it for 10 yrs and 200K. Was a great truck. Only problem was covering that damn yellow paint. the new ryders are white with decals, should be easier to work with.
Dino
Old 10-07-2000, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

There are several truck service companies out here (south dakota), and else where that sell converted U-Haul and Ryder trucks. the conversion is not difficult at all. Cutting down a long frame is much easier than extending a frame. Good used dump bodies are available all over, you will also need a PTO wet kit for the hydraulics, also not a big deal. I am looking at doing this as business builds. Also check out http://www.lapinetrucks.com--- they have many available. Let me know if you need more help.

Paul